My Title of Liberty

     "In Memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children." - Alma 46:12    


April 2010

APRIL 2010

On April 1, 2010, Thursday, April Fool's Day, I got up at 7:40 am. For breakfast, I had eggs with hash browns, a dinner roll with butter, oatmeal, and pear slices. I checked my online messages. I continued my web site Scriptures by adding Jeremiah 7 and Jeremiah 8. I watched FOX News. I added Question #160 to Sodahead: "President Obama may not be re-elected in 2012. Who is surprised?" For lunch, I had chili, tomato soup, and orange slices. I watched FOX News and napped. President Obama says he won't go to church because his presence is "disruptive". For supper, I had broccoli, three rolled up things, chicken and noodles, pumpkin pie, and ice cream. I watched FOX News and added Jeremiah 9, Jeremiah 10, and Jeremiah 11. Much of what Jehovah says of Judah by Jeremiah is also descriptive of American society today, and Judah and Jerusalem were about to be destroyed. I watched "NCIS".

My Easter Bunny pin

Michael approaching Elderplace to take me home

On April 2, 2010, Friday, Good Friday, Pay Day,
I dreamt of being in an indoor wheelchair race which ended in a foot race and eating pies.
I got up at 6:45 am. I checked my bank account. I wrote my monthly checks. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg between two pancakes, sliced orange, milk, and orange juice. Gary picked me up at 8:45 am. Torian has gone back to "Housekeeping" or Personal Care. I weighed 307.7 lbs. I went to the McKenzie Room, got some cocoa, made an Easter Bunny lapel pin, and finished a word search puzzle. At 10 am, I went to the Deschutes Room for Lisa's Discussion Group. She announced that she would be leaving Elderplace after two more weeks. Before the end of the session, we decided we would like to start a Bible Study (non-denominational) to replace the discussion group - it would still be a discussion group of sorts. Then I went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke using one of CDs there. I had the fish sandwich for lunch. I went outside to take pictures. The weather was windy, and switching on an off between rain and sun. Michael brought me home by 2:25 pm. Ed was waiting for me at home. I copied my photos to the computer and updated my web journal. I checked my online messages. Ed and I watched FOX News. I used my walking stick to walk to the bathroom and back.. I added a rubber tip to my walking stick so it won't slip on the floor. We watched "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I got the 2 GB SD card that I ordered in the mail. Ed left at 7:20 pm. I copied my web files, spreadsheets, text files, and photos to the new SD card and installed them in my Pocket PC. I ordered a reconditioned Samsung T301GR Tracfone online. It should arrive next week.

Features text messaging, voice mail, free caller ID, free call waiting; Features Bluetooth® Wireless Technology; Features Downloadable Ringtones, Graphics, News, Weather, Sports and more using Airtime Minutes; Stylish slider design; VGA Camera; Color screen display; MMS Picture Messaging; Handsfree Speaker; External Caller ID; Vibration Alert; Phone Book with up to 100 Entries; 20 pre-loaded ringtones; Alarm Clock; Calculator and stopwatch; Key Pad Lock; Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) rating M-3; Lightweight - 2.92 ounces; Battery life with up to 4 hours of talk time and up to 14 days of standby time; TracFone Airtime Balance Display shows you how much airtime you've used and how much is left, so you control your costs; Includes up to 20 minutes of starter airtime upon activation.

I watched "NCIS" and "Glenn Beck".

On April 3, 2010, Saturday, 180th General Conference, Becky's Anniversary,
I got up at 7:40 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal, and orange slices. Back in my room, I hung the McNary Music scarf that I got from my sister for Christmas on the wall and mounted pins, including my Easter bunny pin, on it.
General Conference began at 9:00 am on channel 23. President Uchtdorf conducted.

* President Monson spoke first.
* Elder Boyd K. Packer: Spoke on the spiritual battle we face. Priesthood power should be established in the home and family.
* Sis. Julie B. Beck, Relief Society General President: A good woman knows she does not have the time to do all the good things she desires to do. But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly. Keeping covenants, reading the Scriptures, and prayer bring strength through the Spirit. The Relief Society is a support for the Sisters in her righteous goals. We can know the Lord is pleased when we can feel the Spirit working through us.
* Keith B. McMullin, Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric: He spoke of Corrie Ten Boom's experience and her learning that God forgives. For those who love God, things can get better and better even in the face of tragedy. The whole duty of man: to fear God, and keep his commandments. (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Pray.

The Choir sang, "Guide Us, O Thou Great Jehovah".

*Wilford W. Anderson of the Seventy: From the diaries of the Saints who were forced to leave Nauvoo: "We had faith, and felt to rejoice that the day of our deliverance had come." Haitian LDS missionaries provided assistance to the other Haitians after the earthquake. "Ye shall have faith through the atonement of Christ." (Moroni 7:41) "Remember that it is on the Rock of our Redeemer ... that ye must build your foundation." (Helaman 5:12)
* M. Russell Ballard of the Twelve: Mother-daughter relationships. Don't look to society, but to your faithful mother, for your role modeling. Keep lines of communication open. Learn from one another. Our family associations are not intended soley for this time, but for eternity.

The Choir sang, "How Could the Father Tell the World".

* Pres. Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency: Our Heavenly Father wants and needs our help in bringing His spirit children home again to Him. Strengthen His children while they are young, and rescue them quickly. Repentance after a neglectful and disobedient life is so much harder than when you are young. God places directions and rescuers in our paths. Family, Primary workers, Sacrament speakers are early rescuers.

The Choir sang, "How Firm a Foundation".

Church News:
The Ogden, Utah temple is having the outside reconstructed.
The Vancouver, British Columbia temple will be dedicated this year.
Kiev, Ukraine temple to be dedicated this Fall
110,000 members in the Dominican Republic since the '70s when missionary work began there.

I watched a program about having Family Dinners with every one there and on time, with pre-planned meals. For lunch, I had a ham and cheese sandwich and vegetable soup. I watched a short movie, "The Book and the Rose", about a man who reads an old book and falls in love with the woman who wrote notes in it. Then I watched a preview of a movie called, "one good man: life as a latter-day dad". Sounds good.

Pres. Uchtdorf conducted the 2nd Session (at 1:00 pm) as well.

The Choir sang, "Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice" and "I Feel My Savior's Love".

* Sustaining of Church General Officers.
* Releasing of a number of Area Seventies.
* Realeased the Primary General Presidency and Board.
* Sustained new Seventies.
* Sustained new Primary Presidency: Rosemay Wixen, President.
* Sustained all others as presently constituted.

* Robert W. Cantrell, Accountant, reported accounting practices have been according to approved principles.
* Brook Hales, statistical: reported 13,824,000 members.

* L. Tom Perry of the Twelve: Mother believed that a mind would become weak if not exercised. A mother's teaching should never be devalued. Teaching in the home is becoming ever more important in today's society. Parents must bring light and truth into their family by family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, one song, one prayer at a time. Teach by example and also by precept. He quoted from the Family Proclamation. So many of our young people lack deep spiritual roots.
* D. Todd Christopherson of the Twelve: Told the story of William Tyndale and his translation of the Bible into English. God opened King Henry's eyes. The scriptures allow us to see in our minds what we could not witness in the body of the important sacred events of history. The scriptures "enlarge our memory". They help us "not forget" the lessons God has given men that we need not rrepeat their mistakes. In Tyndale's day men were ignorant because they did not have access to the scripture. Today, men are ignorant because they will not open the book and read with a yearning heart. God's commandments are the voice of reality. Scriptures tutor us in moral values and civil principles for a moral society. The Scriptures bring us to Christ, our Redeemer. Our need for the scriptures is greater than for any previous time.

The Choir sang, "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet".

* Koichi Aoyagi of the Seventy: The Church is reaching out to the victims of natural disasters with humanitarian aid. Hands that help and save spiritually. As a convert to the Church, he experienced those helping hands. He wandered from the Church and was invited back by a letter from a friend. He sought the Lord and received a strong testimony. He served a mission. "Follow the Prophet, He knows the Way".
* Bruce A. Carlson of the Seventy: There are no spiritual shortcuts. Keeping God's laws brings promised blessings. Not keeping God's laws brings predictable consequences. We will not succeed by insisting on doing things "our way". We are never in a special circumstance that God didn't plan for. "When the Lord commands, do it." - Joseph Smith
* David A. Bednar of the Twelve: Sign said, "Standing Water Ahead". Early warning signals: a fever, weather warnings. Spiritual warning signals: Noah, Lehi, Joseph and Mary. The Word of Wisdom. Spiritual warnings should lead to increasingly vigilant watching. Reading and talking about the Book of Mormon with children, bearing personal testimony spontaneously to children, and inviting children to act.
* Jeffrey R. Holland of the Twelve: Why is there so much moral decay in the world around us? Why are so many of the saints falling victim to it? Pornography is so easily accessible. Lust lurks. It defiles the highest and holiest relationship one can have with others. Lust is often mistaken for love. Separate yourself from people, materials, and situations that could harm you. The only real control in life is self-control. Go to the temple, and when you leave the temple, remember the symbols you take with you.

The Choir sang, "Nearer My God to Thee".

I watched "The Last Samurai". For supper, I had broccoli, fish patties, macaroni salad, fudge, and a fruit cup. I ordered a Field & Stream® Pro Outdoor Clip Watch, which is a watch, compass, thermometer, and light all in one, from I watched "Glenn Beck".

On April 4, 2010, EASTER Sunday, 180th General Conference,
I got up at 12:25 am. It was 81o in my room. I moved my personal fan to the other side of my bed and misted myself with water. I checked my online messages. I added Jeremiah 12 and Jeremiah 13. I chatted with a Sodahead named Dan in Washington State who was also up late. My monitor has begun to go blank briefly and occasionally. My wall clock automatically Sprang Forward based on the old rules. I reset it. I discovered my left knee was painful to use again. At 3:15 am it was 82o in my room, so I opened my window. It is 43o outside. I added Jeremiah 14 and Jeremiah 15. I went back to bed at 4:10 am. I got up again at 5:00 am, still unable to get back to sleep. I added Jeremiah 16 and Jeremiah 17. At 6:30 am, I tried sleeping again - the room was down to 77o.
I got up at 7:45 am. For breakfast, I had and egg sandwich, an English muffin with cream cheese, cold cereal with milk, apple slices, and orange juice.

Henry B. Eyring conducted the 1st Sunday Session of the 180th Annual Church Conference (at 9:00 am).

The Choir sang, "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" and "This Is the Christ".
* Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor: "You are my hands", the words of a sign placed on a statue of Christ whose hands had been broken off. It is only right and proper to extend to others that which we seek for ourselves. The supremacy of love.
* Richard G. Scott of the Twelve: The Resurrection. Easter. Jesus broke the bonds of death and fulfilled all of the Father's promises. Teaching truth in the home is fundamental.
* Donald L. Hallstrom of the Seventy: The Prince of Peace. My peace I give unto you. Grief of his grandparents focused them on living a righteous life. Turn to the Lord for solace. "No matter the size of the issue, how we respond can reset the course of our life." "If you feel you have been wronged ... turn to the Lord." "Never let an eaqrthly circumstance disable you spiritually."

The Choir sang, "Rejoice, the Lord is King".

* Cheryl C. Lant, Primary: What does it mean to recognize the Savior? Our responsibility to bring our children to Christ. In doing so, we also bring ourselves.
* Quentin L. Cook of the Twelve: Holy Thursday - The Sacrament, Love, and Holy Ghost Promised. Gethsemane, Calvary, Resurrection. The risen, the eternal, and glorified Christ. The symbol of Christ is found in faithful lives of the Saints.

The Choir sang, "When He Comes Again".

* Pres. Thomas S. Monson, Prophet: "Thank You". A Painting in the Tate Gallery, London, of a widow who lost her husband at sea, "A Hopeless Dawn". Death comes to all. It may come at any time of life. A design must have a designer. To understand the meaning of death, we must appreciate the purpose of life. He reviewed the last hours of Jesus' life before His death. He passed beneath all things that He might rise above all things. The empty tomb was the answer to Job's question, "If a man die, shall he live again?" He lives!

The Choir sang, "He Is Risen".

I napped until noon. For lunch, I had half a ham and cheese sandwich, soup, and fudge.
Pres/ Henry B. Eyring conducted.

The Choir sang, "Come O Thou King of Kings" and "Jesus, Once of Humble Birth".

* Russel M. Nelson of the Twelve: Love links the generations together. The Family is central to the Creator's plan for the destiny of the world. God provided for the salvation of those who die without having the opportunity to receive the gospel. The Church is building temples to make it easier for the saints to do the work of the Lord for the dead. Genealogy work, finding the names of our dead, has been improved and facilitated by modern technology.
* Robert D. Hales of the Twelve: What is my duty to God in relationship to Youth? Set a good example. "You're never going to be old enough to see that movie, are you Grandpa?" Interaction with the youth.
* Bradley D. Foster of the Seventy: The responsibilities of single parents. " Who has the last word in this house, son? You do, Dad. How do you know that, son? Because mother told me."

The Choir sang, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"

* James B. Martino of the Seventy: "What a pitcher!" How we face our trials counts most. The question is not if we will face them but how we will face them. Learn to recognize the good in every trial. Challenge is to gain the eternal perspective. Don't cast blame for your troubles.
* Gregory A. Schwitzer of the Seventy: Use judgment. Use righteous judgment. Mary and Martha. Martha had a great testimony, Mary needed to listen to Jesus for hers. Put your own standards in alignment with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Keep the commandments.
* Francisco J. Viñas of the Seventy: We need to watch over our members and our families. Teach them about the things pertaining to righteousness.
* Neil L. Andersen of the Twelve: Divine harmony of the Conference talks. Not organized by man, but by God. The adversary is using every means possible to distract us from the narrow path. Teachers to fan the flame of the child's spiritual core. Each child needs his own testimony, independent of parents and leaders. Tell me the stories of Jesus.
* Pres. Thomas S. Monson, Prophet: Closing remarks. World's problems are serious, but Look to the lighthouse of the Lord. The Lord loves us, and will bless us.

The Choir sang, "Abide With Me, 'Tis Eventide".

I napped until 4:45 pm. For supper, I had ham, corn, tater tots, pumpkin pie, and ice cream. I checked my online messages. Heard a report of a 7.2 earthquake in Baja California felt as far away as Arizona and California. I watched "Stargate SG-1" and a movie, "Retroactive" on TV.

On April 5, 2010, Monday,
I got up at 7:40 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had a powdered lemon-filled doughnut, and egg sandwich, and oatmeal. Winda ordered more Tylenol for me. I watched "Disaster on the Coastliner" and "Starflight One". Steve phoned. He will call tomorrow to see if I am able to go to the temple. He may have an old monitor I can have. For lunch, I had soup and crackers, half a blueberry muffin, and a banana. I watched "The Defiant Ones" and moved my computer. Susan, a social worker at Elderplace, phoned me to do a six-month evaluation. I reconnected my computer to the internet via cable. For supper, I had cubed potatoes, roast beef, corn, pear slices, and pumpkin pie. I sang some karaoke. I watched "Bones".

[Last Quarter Moon]
On April 6, 2010, Tuesday, Church's 180th Anniversary,
I got up at 4:37 am. I checked my online messages. I tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. I shaved. For breakfast, I had eggs between two waffles and apple slices. Winda gave me a banana and three frozen bagels for my lunch. I dressed and packed my bag for the temple. Steve picked me up at 9:45 am. we picked up Andy and arrived at the temple at 10:45 am. It didn't take me long to get changed into my temple clothes. There were 13 patrons in our endowment session. I participated in the Order of Prayer. After I came through the veil (2nd at my veil), there were none left for me to bring through. After changing back into my street clothes. I took my noon pills (by then it was 1 pm). My blood sugar was still 105. I went outside. I hadn't brought my camera, but I could see some good shots I might have gotten with it. Once in the car, I ate the banana and one of the bagels (now nicely thawed). We dropped Andy off first. Steve got me home right around 2 pm. Winda fixed me a big hot dog with mustard. I put this morning's laundry out and changed out of my white shirt. I checked my online messages. My Tracfone is still in Indiana and my Sports watch could arrive as soon as Thursday. I haven't been able to find my indoor thermometer since I moved my computer yesterday. I watched "Merlin". For supper, I had garlic bread, spaghetti with meat sauce, fudge, and ice cream. I watched "O'Reilly Factor", "Stargate SG-1", "iCarly", and "NCIS".

"Sea Monkeys" (Brine Shrimp)

On April 7, 2010, Wednesday,
I got up at 7:40 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, Cinnamon Toast Crunch with milk, pear slices, and orange juice. I took photos of the Brine Shrimp that were on the piano in the living room. I checked my online messages. My watch left Minnesota yesterday afternoon and my Tracfone left Illinois early this morning. Winda brought me my new order of Tylenol. I moved my TV to the wall across from my bed. I watched "JAG". For lunch, I had baked beans with crackers and seedless grapes. I watched "JAG", "CSI", and "Glenn Beck". A Census take came to my room. He had ten questions: My name, My birthdate, my age, my race (I gave him some trouble over that one), How long I had lived her, and am I usually here. I watched "The Untouchables". For supper, I had stew, two cookies, and seedless grapes. I passed 52,000 raves on Sodahead. I watched "NCIS" and 'In Plain Sight".

On April 8, 2010, Thursday,
I got up at 7:40 am. My Tracfone arrived in Portland last night. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, pear slices, and oatmeal. I checked my online messages. My physical therapist phoned to check up on me. I watched a History Channel documentary on Hippies. My Tracfone arrived at the Gresham Post Office at 2:21 am this morning. For lunch, I had cheese and broccoli soup with crackers and an apple cobbler bar. I pulled up the mattress of my bed and found my Weather Station with the indoor thermometer on the floor under the head end of the bed. I magnetized it to the side of my computer near the head of my bed. I went out on the front porch and took photos of clouds, planes, etc. The mail lady drove up to the mailbox and could not get my package (my new Tracfone) into it. She gave me all the mail, which included mail for three other addresses. Winda delivered them. I went to my room, opened the box, put my new phone on the charger. I chose a ring tone, and took a couple of photos with the camera. I used the one of the flag in my window for wallpaper. The phone came up fully charged very quickly, but I left it on the charger (the instructions said 5 hours the first time). I went online and activated my account. I now have 140 minutes and 150 service days. The phone keeps the information on the main screen. I began adding Contacts to my phone. For supper, I had a foot long hot dog, potato salad, and three bean salad. I finished entering the phone numbers from my old phone into my new phone, giving me 30 contacts, including three supplied by Tracfone. I added photos for my Caller ID. I added photos for my Caller ID. I added calender appointments and anniversaries to my new phone.

On April 9, 2010, Friday,
I got up at 6:25 am. I added notes to my new phone. I checked my online messages. I dressed for Elderplace. I updated my spreadsheet from my CBG monitor. I packed my bag for Elderplace. For breakfast, I had an egg and three half-rolls, cream of wheat, yogurt with cinnamon, milk, and, orange juice. I found that my watch arrived in Portland (UPS) at 2 am this morning. I went outside to take photos and to wait for my ride to Elderplace. I waited for 20 minutes and was getting cold. I went back inside and found two DVD movies to lend to Phyllis. Gary showed up finally at 9:00 am, much later than ever. He was training a new person, Hope. We got to Elderplace about 9:45 am. I was found immediately to have my vitals checked. I weighed 310.2 lbs and my blood pressure was 138/78. Then I went upstairs to Joe, the Physical Therapist who was expecting me at 9:30. He showed me two new exercises for my knees. He recommended ice packs daily, and will discuss the possibility of Ibuprofen instead of Acetaminophen with my Doctor. I signed a paper releasing my medical records for a swim class. The Roba came to say I was wanted in Sana's office. I went there and was introduced to the Nurse Practitioner who will be seeing me instead of Dr. Tierney on Fridays. So I missed Lisa's Discussion Group. When I went downstairs I was caught by another person from Physical Therapy who wanted to go over some paperwork for the swim class. She began to get the idea I wasn't ready for this particular class, and so did I. By the time I got to the Sandy Room, they were taking orders for lunch, so I didn't sing karaoke. I had a bowl of clam chowder while waiting for the fish dinner to be served. I bought a can of diet Coke from the vending machine and learned that they may be changing vendors to Pepsi and getting a snack machine as well. I waited out front for Michael my driver. He got us all loaded up by 1:20 pm.I was home by 2:13 pm. Ed was waiting. We watched "Glenn Beck" and I updated my web journal and copied my photos to the computer. We watched a documentary about a killer New England hurricane. For supper, I had cauliflower, garbanzos, turkey breast, vanilla pudding, and grapes. We watched "NCIS". Ed left at 7 pm. I watched FOX and "CSI". I watched a History Channel program about Thomas Jefferson.

On April 10, 2010, Saturday,
I got up at 7:45 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, a chocolate doughnut, oatmeal, pear slices, milk, and orange juice. I learned I could make more selections for my camera, such as 320x240 and smaller images to save space, and I decided to do just that. I spent the entire morning getting photos off my photo CDs and taking pictures of them with my phone. For lunch, I had two oatmeal and raisin cookies, a tuna sandwich, and noodle soup. I checked my online messages. I phoned Elaine, not knowing where she was, and she answered. She has moved to over by the Rose Garden. We talked for about an hour. She hasn't heard from our son, so I emailed him her new address and my new phone number. Tess brought me a package while I was still on the phone. It was my Sportsman's Guide watch/thermometer/compass/light. I phoned Larry. He still isn't sure if he will be going to Church tomorrow. For supper, I had a hamburger, french fries, and a cupcake. I phoned Mom and talked to her for about half an hour. I phoned Dan about my new number and a ride tomorrow. He was in a store and will call me back about the number. He will pick me up tomorrow about 12:25 pm. I watched "NCIS". From Carol Wright Gifts, I ordered bifocal sunglasses, Nite-Bright Clip-ons, and a Cell phone wallet.

On April 11, 2010, Sunday,
I used my new phone's alarms to wake up for my Tylenol doses during the night. I works well. I got up at 7:27 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, a maple bar, Kix cereal with milk, and orange juice. I shaved and showered for Church. I began getting dressed. I checked my online messages. I put my tithe check in an envelope. Dan called me on my new phone to say that because of a Damascus Ward Conference choir has been rescheduled and he will pick me up about 12:40 pm. For lunch, I had a bologna sandwich, two cookies, and chowder. I went out on the porch and took some photos before Dan picked me up for church. I gave out 3x5 cards with my new cell phone number. I listened to the choir practice and read over the Priesthood lesson on the Holy Ghost. In the Sacrament meeting, a sister named Katelyn (sp?) was given the gift of the Holy Ghost, was given a blessing, and was welcomed as the newest member of the Ward by a show of hands from the congregation.

* Sis. Madison Strassburg: Quality of our entertainment. Not what is better than what, but what is wholesome and good.
* Br. Steve Johnson: The New and Everlasting Covenant. A sacred ordinance. Neither maleness nor femaleness is preferred in God's sight. "Neither is the man without the woman nor the woman without the man, in the Lord." He told the story of Johnny Lingo qand the 8-cow wife.
* Br. Robert Stephen: The advantage of perspective. Walking too close to the edge. We must realize that evil is all around us. Satan wants us to feel alone and cut off from help.

Sunday school was about Moses and the Exodus.
Br. Paxson taught the Prieshood lesson on the Holy Ghost in the High Priest Group.
I took some photos outside before Larry came out and drove me home.
For supper, I had well-cooked and sometimes too grissley ham, potato salad, corn, a cupcake, and ice cream. I turned my old phone back on and found I had a voice mail from Nanci. I called her back and gave her my new number. She will pick up me and a Sister who also needs a wheelchair, about 5:45 pm tomorrow night for the Stake Home Evening. I phoned my brother Jim and talked to him for maybe half an hour. I phoned my brother John and talked to him for a bit less. I phoned my sister Becky and left my number on a voice mail. I phoned my nephew Gary and was told I had a wrong number. I had maybe twenty minutes left on my old phone and turned it off for good. I updated my web journal. I copied my photos to my computer. I checked my online messages. I added 120 minutes and 30 service days to my Tracfone for $14.99, giving me 243.5 minutes and 177 days currently.

On April 12, 2010, Monday,
I got up at 4:26 am. I turned on my computer monitor and found that one of the Windows update installs had failed - again. I found that the error had to do with Office and that I might have to get the newest Office software (which I never use) to fix it - What a rude sales pitch! I tried to find an image of my nurse online, but failed. I used Google Street View to get a photo of Elaine's apartment building and got an aerial view of the area between where I would get off the MAX and her apartment. I checked my online messages. I checked my bank balance - everything is as it should be. I tried updating my web site on the internet (which I haven't done since the end of last year), but couldn't get to my online files. The "winking out" of my monitor is getting annoying. I copied my web files to the 2 GB SD card in my Pocket PC, and to my backup 16 GB SD card. From Facebook, I learned that Horacio and Jesús got home from San Francisco early this morning. I watched FOX News. For breakfast, I had a round sausage, two pancakes, an egg, and some kind of melon wedge. Ed showed up at 9:15 am. We watched "Atlantis: Milo's Return" and "Battlestar Galactica". I phoned Elderplace and gave Lisa, my social worker, my new cell phone number. For lunch, I had an egg salad sandwich and potato salad. Ed left at 1:00 pm. I took a nap. I found a small camera bag and loaded it with my camera, my smallest set of scriptures, my wallet, and CBG monitor. Steve phoned to say he would pick me up for the temple tomorrow at 9:40 am. He does have a monitor for me and will try to get it to me later this week. For supper, I had a chicken sandwich in a bun, french fries, and ice cream. I went outside to wait for Nanci to pick me up and to take photos. We had some mixup on the directions to my place, and her phone was interacting with her auto's radio, but she found me a little after 6:00 pm. We got to the Stake Center when there were four or five others waiting outside. There were about 8 of us singles, We had prayer, introduced ourselves, sang "Because I Have Been Given Much", had a lesson on communication, and refreshments. I am to give the lesson next month, on May 10th. Nanci got me back home a little after 8 pm. I copied my photos to the computer and caught up my web journal. I checked my online messages.

On April 13, 2010, Tuesday - would have been my 36th anniversary with Elaine,
I got up at 7:08 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, Malt-O-Meal, and applesauce. I shaved, dressed, and packed for the temple. Dan gave me an apple to take with me. Steve and Larry showed up at 9:30 (early) with a 17" CRT monitor. We left and picked up Andy before heading to the temple. At the temple, I changed, found a wallet in an open locker (may have fallen out af a trouser pocket when the locker was emptied). I gave it to Larry and he actually got it back to the owner. I waited in the chapel until time for the endowment session. Then Larry pushed me to the endowment room via the side door next to the vails. There were 30 patrons this session. About halfway through at a moment I hoped would be least disruptive, I raised my hand and the worker came to me and I whispered that I needed to use a restroom urgently. Larry took me out and I was returned to the endowment without a hitch and the session continued. I took part in the Order of Prayer and a sister joined the group to complete the circle. At the vail, I got my words all right and got to bring two patrons through the vail, including Steve. We left the Celestial Room almost immediately and changed back into our street clothes. I thought that the temple might be a good topic for next month's Stake Home Eveining. I took my noon meds (1:14 pm, 103 mg/dl). Steve had the car ready when the rest of us got outside. I took some photos on the way home. About half a mile from home, we ran into the construction on 257th and ended up taking a detour after waiting for a while. They got me home just after 2:00 pm. I took my blood sugar again and got 106. I ate the apple and Dan made me some macaroni and cheese "soup". I disconnected my old monitor and set up the monitor that Steve brought me. I hooked it up and set the resolution to 1280 by 1024 pixels. It looks really good. I copied my photos to the computer. I checked my online messages. I plugged an iPod into my computer for Willy to charge it. For supper, I had Chinese veggies, fried rice, a chicken patty, cake, and orange juice. Winda gave me an ice pack and I iced each knee for 15 minutes. I listened to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on BYU TV via the Internet. I sent an email to Steve to let him know the monitor was working well. I included a picture of the monitor and three of the temple. I found out that my Carol Wright Gifts order has shipped - due sometime in the next two weeks. I added a couple more church members to my phone Contacts list.

[New Moon]
On April 14, 2010, Wednesday,
I got up at 7:00 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal, and apple slices. Willy's iPod was charged, though it still was saying "Do not disconnect". He wanted to get rid of the photos, so I plugged it back into my computer. I was able to delete the old photo data base, but not to view the photos with my computer. I updated my phone number with and with my Bank. For lunch, I had macaroni and cheese with crackers. Because the weather was so nice. I put on my knee brace, my shoes, and my broad-brimmed hat, took my camera, and went out in my wheelchair. I went a block up SE 5th Street. to Kane (257th), then left almost to SE 2nd Street. I took photos of the road construction, flowers, trees, houses, and a plane. I passed Norma's Adult Foster Home where Erin lives. I saw Norma and talked to her as she was out to get her mail. I took a photo of her with my phone's camera. They paved her parking area so that she can have as many visitors as before they took half of her front yard. I figure I traveled about half a mile total. When I got home, I spent half an hour on our front porch taking photos and enjoying the sunshine and peace. When I went in, I copied my photos to the computer. I renamed all 55 of the photos in my camera, giving them descriptive names instead of numbers. I watched FOX News. Winda brought me an ice pack and I iced my knees. For supper, I had carrots, chicken, penné noodles, cake, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. I chose photos to add to my web journal. I checked my online messages. I watched "NCIS".

On April 15, 2010, Thursday,
I got up at 7:30 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, half a poppy seed muffin, a small sausage patty, a banana, and yogurt. I checked my online messages.
NEWS: Smoke billows from a volcano under a glacier in Evjafjallajokull, Iceland. The ash cloud from the eruption (yesterday) has halted air traffic from Scotland to Scandinavia and the Netherlands.
Ed showed up just after 9:30 am. We watched "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls". For lunch, I had a toasted cheese sandwich, Manhattan-style chowder, and apple wedges. Ed and I watched "Inspector Gadget" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (with Brandon Frasier). Ed left at 3:05 pm. I checked my online messages. I watched FOX News. For supper, I had part of a deli-style tuna sandwich, three-bean salad, potato salad, and honeydew melon. I watched "O'Reilly Factor", "NCIS", "Bones", and a History Channel program on Greed.

On April 16, 2010, Friday,
I got up at 6:15 am. I checked my online messages. I dressed and packed for Elderplace. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, thick oatmeal, and pear slices. At 8:40 am, I went outside. I wheeled down to Lois' next door and waited out front to save the Elderplace driver an extra stop. Lois came out because her caregiver thought she heard the bus. We sat together on the sidewalk and visited. The bus (Gary driving) arrived at 8:59 am. We arrived at Elderplace about 9:30 am. I weighed 311.0 lbs. I went into the McKenzie Room and got a cup of cocoa. I was told that I was leading a Bible Study next week (first I heard a decision was made. My cocoa was so hot, I took it to the Deschutes Room for Lisa's Discussion Group. Lisa arrived. We talked about the Bible study and that it should be called "Non-denominational Bible Study" instead of "David Sawyer's Bible Study". Lisa went to look for the rest of the group, but only found Nanette. We had our discussion. Joe the therapist asked me about my knees and my knee braces. I went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke from my Show Tunes CD. In the middle of that, Joe brought me a heavier knee brace and put it on my right knee. I sang until 11:30 am. I had the baked salmon, carrots, rice pilaf, and roll. I had strawberry cheesecake for dessert. Sarah, another therapist came to check the new knee brace and asked if I wanted to try it out over the weekend. I did. I went out front to wait for my bus home. It was Robyn (a guy) instead of Michael who drove me home. I was home well before 2 pm. Winda gave me an ice pack and I went to my room and iced my knees. I caught up my web journal. I checked my online messages. I watched FOXNews. For supper, I had a square of cake, cauliflower, teriyaki chicken, and cubed potatoes. I watched "O'Reilly Factor". I read "The Pearl of Great Price", a talk by Joseph F. Smith in preparation for next month's Stake Home Evening lesson. I watched "Bones".

On April 17, 2010, Saturday,
I got up at 7:15 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal, and apple slices. I found out my Carol Wright Gifts order left Grove City, Ohio yesterday morning. I sang karaoke. I began thinking of moving my computer back under the window. For lunch, I had an egg salad sandwich and soup with crackers. I moved my computer to the rolling desk under my window. I restrung and connected my ethernet cable. I moved my karaoke equipment and set up the area around the head of my bed. I managed to update my website to the internet. I checked my online messages. I watched FOX News. For supper, I had mixed veggies, a chicken patty, and potato salad (which was surprisingly good, considering it was Reser's®). I watched "Huckabee". I studied my Priesthood lesson, "Praying to our Heavenly Father" for tomorrow's High Priest Group. I watched "Glen Beck". I phoned Larry about a ride to Church tomorrow. I phoned Elaine and talked with her for 36 minutes. She says she will be having her computer hooked up on Monday night and we will be able to communicate via email, etc. The Iceland volcano is still causing problems for Northern Europe, especially for air travellers. I watched "Legend of the Seeker", "As Time Goes By", and "My Family".

On April 18, 2010, Sunday,
I got up at 7:30 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, Kix cereal, and canned peaches. I checked my online messages. I copied the Ward List to my desktop. I shaved. I tried my new knee brace on my left knee, but it didn't fit properly, so I put my old one on. I dressed for Church. It is still 81o in my room with the window open. For lunch, I had a balogna and cheese sandwich and lentil soup with crackers. Tess gave me a banana to take with me. I packed my bag for Church. I went outside about 15 minutes early and took some photos. Larry picked me up and I got some photos of Mt. Hood. In Sacrament Meeting the talks were:

* Br. Morgan Rial: Being honest. Do not bear false witness. 13th Article of Faith.
* Sis. Cathy Hill: She is Morgan's teacher. "Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting" - Wordsworth. God's work and glory - His Pland of Happiness. Talk by Ezra Taft Benson, "I Testify".
* Br. Nick Childs (about to leave on his mission to Taiwan): "There Is a Green Hill Far Away". Jesus Christ is the only one who could atone for our sins. 1 Nephi 14. Holy men sought for a testimony. Jesus - "He went about doing good."

In Sunday School we split up again into two classes according to the first letter of our last names. My class met in the chapel. We discussed the experience of the Children of Israel at Sinai.
I ate my banana before Priesthood opening. I led the discussion on Prayer. It went well and I think we discussed all the elements of the lesson with only the Holy Spirit to guide us.
I waited out in the fresh air. Well, there was smoke in the air, smelled like wood burning. Larry got me home by 5:25 pm. For supper, I had peas and carrots, BBQ chicken, a baked potato, a piece of cake, and canned peaches. I iced my knees, 15 minutes each. I updated my web journal. I checked my online messages. I copied my photos to the computer.

On April 19, 2010, Monday,
I got up at 7:00 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had egg in an English muffin, hashbrowns with cheese, a banana, and orange juice. I checked my online messages. I used Google earth to find an aerial view of the Oxbow Park campground that I've been to with Church groups several times and snipped an image of it. I marked the location of my tent with a white triangle for July 24-25 of last year. I also Googled a 3-D view of Suttle Lake which was one of my favorite vacation (camping) spots. I set this view as my Windows background. For lunch, I had chowder with crackers and a banana. I spent some time on Sodahead and checked out the bus lines in my area on I watched "Becker" and FOX News. On Sodahead, I added Question #163, "What is a Billion?" For supper, I had penné noodles and a chicken patty in tomato sauce, sliced apple, and a piece of cream pie. I watched "O'Reilly Factor", "Hannity", and "On the Record". I tried phoning Elaine twice but only got her voicemail. I learned my Carol Wright Gifts order reached Kent, WA, just before noon - it should arrive by Friday. I watched "Riverworld". Winda gave me an apple and I iced my knees (15 minutes each).


Etna Volcano, Italy

Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii

Erebus Volcano, Antarctica

On April 20, 2010, Tuesday, Ward Temple Day,
I got up at 6:55 am. I checked my online messages. I learned my Carol Wright Gifts order left Kent, WA, just after midnight. For breakfast, I had a quarter muffin, over easy egg in an English muffin, tater tots with cheese, and canned peaches. I discovered that there are 42 volcanoes currently erupting around the world:

Europe and Atlantic Ocean:
* Etna (Italy)
* Stromboli (Italy)
Africa and Indian Ocean:
* Erta Ale
* Ol Doinyo Lengai (Tanzania)
* Nyiragongo (DR Congo)
Asia (Kamchatka to Indonesia):
* Asama (Japan)
* Avachinsky (Kamchatka)
* Sheveluch (Kamchatka)
* Karymsky (Kamchatka)
* Suwanosejima (Japan)
* Sakurajima (Japan)
* Anak Krakatau (Indonesia)
* Semeru (Indonesia)
* Soputan (Indonesia)
* Dukono (Indonesia)
Pacific Ocean:
* Manam (Papua)
* Bagana (Papua)
* Rabaul (Papua)
* Langila (Papua)
* Garbuna (Papua)
* Anatahan (Marianas)
* Yasur (Vanuatu)
* Ambrym (Vanuatu)
* Kilauea (Hawaii)
* Cerro Azul (Galapagos)
Aleutians, Alaska and North America:
* Cleveland (Alaska)
* Pavlov (Alaska)
* Kasatochi (Alaska)
Central America and Carribean:
* Colima (Mexico)
* Popocatepetl (Mexico)
* Fuego (Guatemala)
* Santa Maria (Guatemala)
* Arenal (Costa Rica)
* Soufriere Hills (UK, Montserrat)
South America
* Tungurahua (Ecuador)
* Reventador
* Ubinas (Peru)
* Villaricca (Chile)
* Chaitén (Chile)
Other regions:
* Mt. Belinda (South Sandwich Islands)
* Erebus (Antarctica)

An occupational therapist phoned to say she wanted to come by the house to see me this afternoon. She didn't say why. So I worked on cleaning up my room. For lunch, I had cinnamon crackers, tomato soup, and a banana. I cleaned a bit more in my room. The occupational therapist showed up about 1 pm and stayed about 25 minutes. She was checking the facitlities for me and clarifying some points about the swimming class. Apparently, the social worker will get me a swim suit, and they will provide a shower bench for me for the class. Yesterday, I answered a Question, "What have Republicans done for America in the past 10 years?", on Sodahead with "If they are doing their jobs, politicians would have little to do except tend to their constituents. I don't live in a Republican-controlled State or County, though I myself am a registered Republican. The government has taken on too much, perhaps with good intent, but with ill-conceived ideas, and corrupt practices. How do they expect to do anything good. They should all first clean their own houses before trying to 'fix' ours." It has already gotten 43 raves. I watched "Glenn Beck". I shaved and showered for the temple. I learned my Carol Wright Gifts order arrived at the Gresham, OR Post Office by 11 am today. I watched FOX News. I finished dressing for the temple, minus the tie. For supper, I had peas, carrots, stuffed pepper, and pie. I put on my tie and made sure I had everything I needed.

Larry picked me up at 5:30 pm. We picked up Sis. Merriwether only a block away. I took photos on the way to the temple through the car window, and some at the temple before we went inside. I changed into my temple clothing and went to the 2nd floor chapel. I read the words to several songs in the Hymns book, starting with "If You Could Hie to Kolob". I found that most of the ones I read were songs about the temple that I am not familiar with. It was enlightening. When the Ward chapel session began, our Bishop spoke first, on keeping our covenants. A Sister spoke about how important and wanted our temple service is. The temple President spoke last. Many went to an endowment session. The rest of us went to another room. They selected 9 of us for the Ward sealing session, and two others went to join other wards. Our nine went to a third floor sealing room, #12. I participated as a son in several sealings and as a husband with another Sister, and as a father. As the son, I dared to kneel and though it was very uncomfortble, it did not apparent damage to my knee. As a matter of fact, my knee actually felt better once I got back to my wheelchair. I did not repeat the kneeling the next time, however. One of the Sisters required a chair instead of kneeling. One of the brethren was proxy for William Shakespeare, born in the 1700s (so not "the" Shakespeare). One coupling was and age-mismatched couple as proxies and it occurred to me that Jesus when He died as our proxy on the cross was about 33 years, but He was proxy for all, young or old. We finished about 8:30 pm and changed back into our street clothes. I went out and took a few more photos of the temple in the dark before Larry brought the car to the entrance. He took Sis. Merriwether home first. She wants me to come photograph the flowers in her back yard. Larry got me home by 9:45 pm. Winda gave me an ice pack, a bag of frozen bagels, and a banana. I got undressed, iced my knee, ate the banana, and updated my web journal. I copied my photos to the computer. I checked my online messages.

[First Quarter Moon]
On April 21, 2010, Wednesday,
I got up at 7:21 am. I checked my online messages. I added a blog about last night's Temple trip with a photo to Facebook. For breakfast, I had a strip of bacon, five small sugar-coated doughnuts, and egg sandwich, canned peaches, and orange juice. I continued checking my online messages. I added Question #164, "How do I get to my Profile Page?" and got a quick answer, "Click the pic". It worked. I prepared my SPD check for mailing. I went over the reapplication form for Medicaid and decided I needed help figuring out how to fill out parts of it. For lunch, I had a grilled cheese sandwich, vegetqble beef soup, and potato salad. I checked my online messages, ran into my daughter on Sodahead, and gave her nearly a hundred raves on her Questions. I took the mail out, since I was going out, and went to Sis. Meriwether's a block away. I took pictures there, then returned to Winda's. I got several photos of two jet fighters flying over the house. The mail hadn't come yet, so I went up to Kane and took pictures. There doesn't seem to currently be a bus stop nearby. I went back to the house. I had traveled about 9 blocks and spent nearly an hour outdoors. The mail still hadn't come, so I went inside. I update my web journal and copied my photos to the computer. Winda brought me my mail, which included a package, my Carol Wright Gifts order. I checked it out: My sunglasses have 4x bifocal which is good for reading. I will have to test them in bright sunlight where I believe they will work fine. Looking forward to trying out my night vision clip-ons. My new cell phone wallet holds my cell phone, a pen and pencil, and has even more space for card and cash than my old one. For supper, I had chicken, corn, mashed potatoes, cake, and ice cream. I went outside with my sunglasses, but saw no sunshine. I took two photos of myself in my wheelchair with my hat, sunglasses, and new wallet. I watched FOX News.

On April 22, 2010, Thursday, Earth Day, Grandma Lois Wells Sawyer's birthday, Lenin's Birthday,
I got up at 7:12 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal with milk, and a banana. My new Elderplace Social Worker, Susan, who does not come in on Fridays, phoned me. She will look into where I can get a swimsuit size 3XL and wants me to bring in my Medicaid reapplication forms tomorrow and leave them for her.
On Sodahead, I passed 53,000 raves. I have noted that meeting other opinions online, though seldom have they turned me from my opinion, they have helped me understand it better, and hopefully, to express it better.

Ed showed up arount 10:30 am. We watched "Around the World in 80 Days". For lunch, I had sandwich cookies with chocolate filling, tuna noodle (spiral) casserole, and a banana. We finished the movie. Ed shared his leftover pizza with me about 3 pm. Ed and I also watched "The American Prophet: Joseph Smith". Ed left a little before 5 pm. I checked my online messages. For supper, I had fried bits of breaded chicken, garbanzos, and caramel flan. I used my Stellarium software to find the Moon and went out on the front porch to take photos of it. I got several photos of the Moon though I had to wait for holes in the clouds to show it. The clouds, being bright like the Moon helped to get the exposure correct. I came back in and copied the photos to the computer. I watched the last part of "Serenity" on TV. At 8 pm, I went to the back deck to try to photograph Venus after sunset, but the clouds were too thick in that direction. I watched the last half of "RoboCop 3", then "Glenn Beck".

On April 23, 2010, Friday,
I got up at 4:00 am

with the thought that perhaps the cosmic microwave background radiation that was first predicted by Ralph Alpher, Robert Herman, and George Gamow in 1948, as part of their work on the Big Bang theory and was first observed inadvertently in 1965 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson at the Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey, might actually be proof of God's glory, the light of His presence, rather than evidence for the "Big Nang" for which there is no explanation. Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum of which visible light is a tiny part, thus it is essentially light. The glow comes almost uniformly from every direction.
* 1 John 1:5 says, "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."
* Doctrine and Covenants 88:7-13 says, "This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made. As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made; As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made; And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand. And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings; Which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space — The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things."

On Sodahead, I added Question #166, "Did Science actually discover God and not realize it?" I checked my online messages. I went back to bed at 5:15 am.

I got up again at 7:30 am after resetting my alarm twice. I photographed the Medicaid forms (just in case they get lost). I dressed for breakfast and gathered things for Elderplace. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, tater tots with corned beef, gravy on a biscuit, and orange wedges. I shaved and finished getting ready for Elderplace. I went outside and up the sidewalk in front of Lois' to wait for my bus. Lance, a new driver, was being trained by Matt. We arrived at Elderplace a little after 9:30 am. I was weighed (311.6 lbs). I went to Peggy at the desk and asked about my new Social Worker - - her name is Susan Trizise. I gave Peggy the Medicaid reapplication forms for her. I went to the library and got half a dozen Bibles for the Bible Study. We gathered, 5 of us, in the Deschutes Room. It went pretty well. I was asked to give the closing prayer. Next time we have agreed to have an opening prayer and we will start with Matthew. I went to the Sandy Room for karaoke. They delivered lunch before 12:30 pm. I had breaded fish. I visited until almost 1 pm. I went out front and Michael loaded me on the bus. I napped most of the way home. I was home about 2:15 pm. In the living room was a new shower stool for me to use. Ed was waiting for me. We watched "The Mountain of the Lord" and "A Prairie Home Companion" on DVD. For supper, I had vegetables and beef over rice, chocolate cake, and ice cream. Ed left about 6 pm. I updated my web journal and copied my photos to the computer. I watched "Bones".

On April 24, 2010, Saturday,
I got up at 7:15 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal, and apple wedges. I began in the morning creating a web page list of the U.S. Presidents which will have links to the biographies of the Presidents and Vice Presidents. I made a bio for John Adams. For lunch, I had a ham and cheese sandwich, soup, and cookies. I started a bio for Barack Obama. I checked my online messages. I fell asleep watching FOX News. For supper, I had spaghetti with elbow macaroni and chocolate cake. I sang karaoke for about an hour. Dan gave me a bag of frozen bagels for snacks. I watched "Pixar Short Films" and "Ratatouille". I added a bio for George Washington.

On April 25, 2010, Sunday,
I got up at 7:35 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich and cold cereal with milk. I checked my online messages. I added more photos for my Caller ID from photos on Facebook. I trimmed my hair, shaved, dressed, and packed my bag for Church. My home teachers arrived at 11 am and stayed for 25 minutes. Veraun gave a lesson on receiving revelation (the Visiting Teaching lesson) and will get me a list of the Sngles (30 yrs and above) for my calling. For lunch, I had a ham and cheese sandwich, soup with crackers, and sandwich cookies. About 1:15 pm, I went outside and took photos. Larry picked me up at 1:30 pm. I got some photos of Mt. Hood on the way. It was Ward Conference: We sustained the Church general authorities, the Stake leaders, and the Ward leaders.

* Bishop Ipsen spoke first: 3 nephi 9:16, "Blessed are those who come unto me." Hymn: "Come Unto Jesus". After we have done all that we can do, Cod will provide help.
* Pres. Allen: He reqad the story of the Widow's mite. We are called upon to sacrifice.
* Pres. Baird: the Way is no harder for us than for the prophets. The only choice we have is whether to follow the Savior or Satan. We must train ourselves to make correct choices.
* Pres. Richard Hansen: The Law of Sacrifice. It has a place in our lives. "... A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; ..." - Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith. What is a sacrifice? To give up something of value for the promise of something greater. An investment. When a servant of God asks you to do something, it will always require sacrifice. 90% plus blessings from God is greater than 100%.

In Sunday School, we discussed the Children of Israel when they lusted after meat instead of the manna God had provided them.
The Priesthood and Relief Society met together.

* Sis. ?, Ward Relief Society President: "The Rock upon which ye are built". Be humble that we should not be led astray. Isa. 40. Seek personal revelation. Isa. 64:8. Bend our wills to the Lord. "How Firm a Foundation".
* Br. ?: Spotlight on houseboat? To see the snags. Hope. 1 Nephi 8 - mists of darkness, despair. Tree of life, iron rod. Hope is as sunlight, dispelling darkness. Iron iPod.
* Pres. ?: Aftermath of a flood. We can't always depend on our Church leaders to solve everything for us. How are you protecting your fqmily? Separate yourselves from evil influences.
* Pres. Baird: Perspective. A troubling world. Earthquakes increasing in numbers and strength. This is a day of choices. Choose ye this whom ye will serve. We have to be the unmoving light on a hill.

I took some photos outside before Larry drove me home. We are planning to go to the temple on Tuesday, starting at 9:45 am. Larry got me home by 5:30 pm.
For supper, I had corn, green beans, meatloaf (really good), and cheesecake? I copied my photos to the computer. I watched "The Langoliers" on TV. I checked my online messages. I watched "Dead Like Me".

On April 26, 2010, Monday, Erin's Birthday,
I got up at 7:45 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, a powdered sugar lemon-filled doughnut, and oatmeal. I checked my online messages. I spent most of the morning creating a spreadsheet from the 52 names of Ward Singles and adding phones, emails, and addresses to them. 4 of them were not on the online list, only 7 had emails, and 12 had no listed phone numbers. I added some of them to Google Earth but it crashed and I lost what I had done. For lunch, I had a meatloaf sandwich, macaroni salad, and a banana. I went back to Google Earth and marked 47 singles on the map. One had an ambiguous address, so I couldn't do 48. There are 15 within a range I can do in my wheelchair. I put all the singles with phone numbers into my cell phone. I napped until 5:00 pm. My blood sugar was 69. Margaret's doctor was here and Winda was running late with supper. For supper, I had chicken, noodles, chocolate cake, and ice cream. I checked my online messages. I sent an email with an image of the Singles map to the Stake Ward rep.

On April 27, 2010, Tuesday,
I got up at 7:30 am. I checked my online messages. For breakfast, I had two fat pancakes, and egg (which I ate between the pancakes, a strip of bacon, a banana, and orange juice. The sun was shining brightly, though it had been raining all night and the covered deck was still covered with puddles of water. I packed my bag, shaved, and dressed for the temple. I had to pick little black coarse fibers out of my "clean" white socks. Larry showed up early, at 9:30 am. We picked up Andy, and then Steve. We arrived at the temple by 10:30 am. I changed into my temple clothes and waited in the Chapel with the others. Then Larry pushed me to the Endowment Room via the elevator and the side door. There were 20 patrons this time, 11 Sisters and 9 Brothers. I had to use the restroom again in the middle of the session, but it was OK. I took part in the True Order of Prayer. I almost backed out seeing there were enough and already paired, but another Sister came forward and everyone else made room. By the time I was through the vail, there was no need of me as a Vail Worker. After changing back into my street clothes, I asked at the recommend desk about taking pictures. I was told I could take pictures only in the Arboretum or outside, so I took pictures in the Arboretum. I ate the sandwich and apple that Winda gave me for my lunch. We made a stop at the Deseret Book Store for Andy to pick up something his wife wanted. It rained fairly hard several times on the way home. We dropped off Andy at his home, Steve at his home, and finally, me at mine. It was 2:20 pm then. I unpacked my bag. I updated my web journal and copied my photos to the computer. I checked my online messages. I emailed to Erin a photo I took of OMSI taken from the other side of the river as I was on my way home. For supper, I had lasagna, carrots, corn, lemon meringue pie (frozen), a banana, and orange juice. I began thinking of rearranging my room again. I watched a History Channel program on the history of toilets and dental care.

[Full Moon]
On April 28, 2010, Wednesday,
I woke up at midnight to a dream of a sandbox world where the inhabitants didn't know their world wasn't real. One part of that world was called the Land of Liberty. This was reflected in other dreams later on.
I got up at 5:40 am. I checked my online messages. I went back to bed at 6:05 am.
I got up at 7:45 am, reluctantly. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, oatmeal with raisins and cashews, a banana, milk, and orange juice. I sold my radio/CD alarm clock for $5. I moved my computer from the rolling desk to a stand under the window, and moved the monitor to the top of the dresser. For lunch, I had macaroni and cheese with bits of hot dog? and Mandarin oranges. I took the bed apart, swapped the little shelves and the black metal cabinet, cleaned the floor, and put the bed back together. I watched FOX News. I checked my online messages. I found a missing wheel and put the plastic drawers back together and set them across from my bed. I hooked up the printer next to the head of my bed. I swept the floor. For supper, I had meatballs, broccoli, chicken with fried rice, tapioca pudding, chocolate cake, and orange juice. I watched "CSI", "NCIS", "Wizards of Waverly Place", and a History Channel program about the Egyptian Pyramids.

On April 29, 2010, Thursday,
I got up at 4:55 am, thinking of the Bible Study for tomorrow, the Gospels, and the four beasts in Revelation.

Revelation 4:6-8,
"And before the throne there was a asea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.
"And the first beast was like a lion,
and the second beast like a calf,
and the third beast had a face as a man,
and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.
"And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God bAlmighty, which was, and is, and is to come."

Symbolically, the four beasts could represent the four Gospels in the New Testament, which were had among the early readers of John's book of Revelation:
* The lion representing Matthew, written to Jewish readers (the Lion of the tribe of Judah).
* The calf representing Luke, written to Gentile readers.
* The man representing John, written to the whole of mankind, through the ages.
* The Eagle representing Mark, written to Roman readers (The Eagle was their ensign).
The wings representing the facility of movement, and the eyes the ability to see, to witness, to testify, bearing testimony of Jesus Christ.
I went back to bed at 5:30 am.

I got up at 7:45 am. For breakfast, I had an egg sandwich, apple wedges, and cream of wheat. I watched FOX News. I checked my online messages. Ed showed up about 9:40 am with a case of caffiene-free diet Pepsi. We watched History on World War II Great Escapes. For lunch, I had a tuna salad sandwich and vegetable soup with crackers. Ed and I watched "Modern Marvels: "Saws, Coin Operated, and Dredging". We watched "CSI". Ed left at 4:00 pm. I watched another episode of "CSI". For supper, I had fish, cucumber chips, delicious potato salad, a fruit cup, and lemon meringue pie. I watched "Stargate: Atlantis", "Stargate SG-1, and "Soldier".

On April 30, 2010, Friday,
I got up at 7:15 am. I dressed and packed my bag for Elderplace. I found it impossible to answer Questions on Sodahead or to find My Happenings. For breakfast, I had eggs, an English muffin, hash browns, and a fruit cup. Lance picked me up in front Lois' place. We got to Elderplace about 9:30 am. I weighed 309.6 lbs. People from the Oregon Zoo brought animals. There was a Ball Python, a rabbit, and a chicken. I visited with Russell in the library while picking up extra Bibles for the Bible Study. Russell was taken for a nursing appointment. Ernie and I studied Matthew 1 together, then Russell joined us and we studied Matthew 2 together. After the Bible Study, I went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke. I got extra time as lunch was not served until 12:15 pm. I had the Baked Fish. I sang a couple more songs after lunch. The buses were also running late. Michael took me home, but he didn't get started loading the bus until 1:30 pm. Still, I was home by 2:15 pm. When I went to Margaret's room, it seemed she was hiding behind a bookshelf. A friend who had given her the bookshelf had moved it between her and the door. Margaret felt closed in. I offered to swap her side table with the bookcase. Winda arrived and thought she should try it for a couple of weeks, but then relented, so I moved Margaret's furniture and both Margaret and Winda seemed happy with the results. I went to my room and unpacked. I updated the wall calendar to May. I updated my web journal and copied my photos to the computer. I checked my online messages. For supper, I had Jo Jo's, Pea Salad, fried chicken, lemon meringue pie, and orange juice. I found an interesting article in a PrayerWorks prayer letter dated February 4, 2007:


I'm sure that George Washington was your first and best guess. But think back to your history books -- The United States declared its independence in 1776, yet Washington did not take office until April 30, 1789.

So who was running the country during the initial years of this young country? It was the first eight US Presidents!!! In fact, the first President of the United States was John Hanson. Don't go checking the encyclopedia for this man's name -- he is one of those great men who is lost to history. If you're lucky, you may actually find a brief mention of his name.

The new country was actually formed on March 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. This document was proposed on June 11, 1776, but was not agreed upon by Congress until November 15th, 1777. Maryland refused to sign it until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands. (Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land.) Once it was signed in 1781, a President was needed to run the country.

John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

As the first President, Hanson had quite the shoes to fill. No one had ever been president and the role was poorly defined. His actions in office would set precedent for all future presidents. He too office just as the Revolutionary War ended. Immediately, the troops demanded to be paid. As would be expected after any long war, there were no funds to meet the salaries. As a result the soldiers threatened to overthrow the new government and put Washington on the throne as a monarch. All the members of Congress ran for their lives, leaving Hanson as the only person left running the government. He somehow managed to calm the troops and hold the country together. If he had failed, the government would have fallen quickly and everyone would have been bowing to King Washington.

Hanson, as President, ordered all foreign troops off American soil and the removal of all foreign flags. This was quite a feat since many European countries had a stake in the United States since the days of Columbus. He established the Great Seal of the United States, which all presidents have since been required to used on all official documents. He established the first Treasury Department, the first Secretary of War, and the first Foreign Affairs Department. And he declared that the fourth Thursday of every November was to be Thanksgiving Day, which is still true today.

The Articles of Confederation only allowed a president to serve a one year term during any three year period, so Hanson actually accomplished quite a bit in such a little time. Seven other presidents were elected after him,
     Elias Boudinot (1782-1783),
     Thomas Miffin (1783-84,
     Richard Henry Lee (1784-85),
     John Hancock (1785-86),
     Nathan Gorman (1786-87),
     Arthur St. Clair (1787-88),
     and Cyrus Griffin (1788-89)
... all prior to Washington taking office.

So what happened? It's quite simple -- The Articles of Confederation didn't work well. The individual states had too much power and nothing could be agreed upon. A new doctrine needed to be written -- something we know as the Constitution. And that leads us to the end of the story.

George Washington was definitely not the first President of the United States. He was the first President of the United States under the Constitution we follow today ... and the first eight presidents are forgotten in history.

It took eight years for us to establish a successful government. Remember this when you hear that so little progress has been made in the last three years [in 2007] in establishing a government in Iraq!

I watched "Stargate: Atlantis", "Stargate SG-1", and "Eureka". I added the 15 Presidents of the Continental Congress to my web page, U. S. Presidents. On Sodahead, I added Question #167: "Who was really the first President of the United States?" I watched "CSI".