My Title of Liberty

     "In Memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children." - Alma 46:12    


My Year 2009 - Summer

JULY 2009

On July 1, 2009, Wednesday, I got up at 7:30 am. I watched a History Channel program on "Secrets of the Bermuda Triangle". I printed a photo of my daughter with her boyfriend at his graduation and mounted it on my wall. At lunch, I caught an episode of "JAG" that introduced "NCIS". I continued to watch the next few episodes of "NCIS". I changed my bedding. In the process, I unfolded the mattress, giving my bed a "back" again.

House Spider on the Bathroom Wall

On July 2, 2009, Thursday, I took a photo of a spider in the bathroom (only about 3/8 inch long). Ed came to visit in the morning and we watched programs on fireworks, and the Lionel model trains. Ed left at 2 pm, leaving most of a case of Pepsi with me. I watched a program about the Delphic Oracles. At 3 pm, the temperature outside (86o F.) was ten degrees higher than the temperature in my room - unheard of. The AC must be doing some good. I watched a program about archaelogy in the Four Corners area. The Anasazi people were apparently destroyed by a cannibalistic people (Toltecs?). This supports the Book of Mormon which says that Lamanites hunted down the Nephites in North America. I added the four chapters of Malachi to my personal web scriptures. I also added the first two chapters of Daniel. I watched "Down Periscope" on TV.

On July 3, 2009, Friday, Ed Owen came over about 10:30 am. At 11 am, we left in his pickup with my wheelchair. We went to Radio Shack where I bought a 100 foot cable to connect my computer to the router at the other end of the house. Then we went to Petco where I bought goldfish food. Then Ed treated me to lunch at The Roadhouse. I had salmon, coleslaw, and a large baked potato with butter. Then we went to Roger's Barbershop at 143rd and Stark where Ed got his hair cut. We stopped at Fred Meyer on the way back and I waited for Ed in the pickup. We were back by 2:30 pm. I gave Winda the cable for Dan to install when he can. She will reimburse me $25 on the cable. We watched "The Dirty Dozen" on TV. Ed left at 5:45 pm.

Flag-Raising Ceremony

On July 4, 2009, Saturday, Independence Day, I got up at 6:30 am, shaved, bathed, dressed, and got ready for the Flag-raising. Larry picked me up a little after 8 am. I began taking pictures. We all watched the children's bicycle parade, then moved to the flag-raising area. After the flag was raised to a solo performance of "The Star Spangled Banner", there were two speakers, after which we sang "America" and had a prayer. Then I got in line (near the end) for breakfast. It took over half an hour to get to the front of the line. While waiting in line, someone gave me a small firework called Southern Night. I had eggs two pancakes, some tiny donuts (Larry was making them), and some orange punch. Larry got me home by 11:15 pm. I copied my photos to my computer and edited the filenames. I tried napping, but it was too warm (80o F.). Dan connected the 100-foot cable from the router to my room, and I connected the other end to my computer. I got a connection, but only local, just like before with the wireless. I watched "The Twilight Zone". I watched "Patriot Games" before going to bed. My big toe was red.

On July 5, 2009, Sunday, My big toe was looking normal again. Three of my neons are dead, leaving me with one neon, and three goldfish. After breakfast, I napped a bit, then shaved and dressed for church. Dan restarted his router (waiting for several seconds), allowing my computer to connect (finally!) with it and the internet. He gave me two packages of cheese crackers with peanut butter and a banana for my lunch. Larry picked me up after 11 am. We had a child blessed and several releasings and new callings. We heard testimonies from the members, including one sister who had to be pushed up to the stage in her chair so she could use the microphone. Sunday School was a discussion on the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. In Priesthood, we met in our committees and discussed temple work opportunities. Larry got me home by 3 pm. My internet connection was still working. I checked my emails and sent one to my daughter with a few photos from the Flag-Raising and told her about my new internet connection.

On July 6, 2009, Monday, I got a good night's sleep. I got an email from my daughter, sent her a reply, and got a reply back. Winda gave me twenty-five dollars to help with the cost of the modem cable for the internet and she gave me some food to add to my Emergency Backpack. Ed came over after I had had an early lunch and gave me twenty dollars for my blue satin king-size bedsheets (which I haven't been using). I had a good long chat with my daughter online until she and her Mom went out somewhere. She has a new laptop computer. I watched the two-hour pilot for "Warehouse 13".

On July 7, 2009, Tuesday, I was on SodaHead all morning and napped most of the afternoon.

Steve and Larry at the Barbecue

On July 8, 2009, Wednesday, I napped most of the morning. I was online in the afternoon. Larry picked me up at 4:45 pm and we went to Steve's. Steve BBQ'd weiners, burgers, pineapple, and steamed corn on the cob. We had a discussion and planned a survey on Temple work for the home teachers to fill out for their families. We had a great meal. I had a cheeseburger, two 10" cobs of corn, potato salad, sweet pickles, and potato chips for supper. Steve showed me the program and we looked up my Grandma Sawyer in the 1910 Census. Larry told us about and, too. Larry took me home by 9 pm. I went online and registered for I started adding to my information. I connected to a St. John ancestor born in 1020 AD in France. I've found I have Polish and Russian ancestors going back into the 1100s.

On July 9, 2009, Thursday, I added my four generations, plus, into the New FamilySearch. I followed the Wells line back to English Kings and then to Saxon kings in Germany before the time of Christ. In the evening, Winda came to my room with a Recording Studion. It has AM/FM radio, and a dual audio tape player-recorder. It also has two jacks for microphones and a large speaker. She asked if I wanted it and I said yes.

Something You Don't See Every Day

On July 10, 2009, Friday, I was picked up after breakfast for Elderplace. Vicki had 7 passengers. When I got there, I went upstairs and turned in my CBG monitor. The Meds lady gave me a box of 81 mg aspirin, and Sana my nurse looked at my feet and drew to samples of my blood. I participated in Lisa's discussion group and Nanette's reading group. Then I went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke. I had fish for lunch with bread pudding for dessert. Vicki got me home a little after 2 pm. Ed showed up. We decided to go see a movie. We went to Taco Bell/Long John Silver's first for supper. I had a Burrito Supreme, two pieces of fish, coleslaw, and a small soda. Then we went to the Stark Street cinema and got tickets for "UP". I got Dibs and a box of Junior Mints. The movie was really good. Ed got me home by 7 pm. He left.

On July 12, 2009, Sunday, After breakfast, I shaved, bathed, dressed for Church, and studied the lesson for High Priest Group. Larry picked me up. The Sacrament talks were on the Restoration of the Gospel. Our High Council speaker read several paragraphs from the Priesthood lesson, too. Sunday School was on "Go Ye Into All the World and Preach My Gospel". I led the Priesthood Lesson on "Receiving the Ordinances and Blessings of the Temple". Larry got me home by 3 pm.

Mount Hood from North Portland

On July 16, 2009, Thursday, Ed came in the morning and we took Powell to 82nd then South so he could look at some trailers. Then we went to the Taco Bell - Long John Silver's on Stark Street for lunch. I had one piece of fish and two Burrito Supremes. Then we went to the Stark Street Cinema and saw the 12:20 pm viewing of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". It was good. Then Ed wanted to check out something in North Portland. Traffic was slow, so I phoned Winda that we would eat out for supper, too. After he checked out something about his mothers car, we went to a hot dog place in North Portland. I had a foot long dog with mustard and relish. Then we stopped at Dairy Queen in Gresham. I had a medium strawberry sunday. I bought a large soda to go. Ed and I watched "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on DVD before Ed went home. Winda gave me an ear of corn for a snack.

On July 17, 2009, Friday, Vicki picked me up for Elderplace right after breakfast. I took my CBG meter upstairs first, and waved at my nurse. I went back downstairs, bought a diet Coke from the machine and went to the McKenzie room. I participated in Lisa's Discussion Group. Then I sang karaoke in the Sandy Room until lunch. I had the Salmon. Lisa came to me and told me she was my new Social Worker. I told her I plan to go camping next Friday and wanted to cancel my ride. She said she would start the paper work. Vicki got me home by 2 pm. I learned that PGE would create a power outage on Monday between 9 and 11 am. At 3 pm, Ed showed up. We watched "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls", followed by "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Ed left at 7:30 pm.

On July 18, 2009, Saturday, Even with my window open all night, it was still 79o in my room.

On July 19, 2009, Sunday, After breakfast, I shaved and dressed for Church. Larry picked me up. The Sacrament talks were on Charity and the Church Welfare principles. The Sunday School lesson was on "They Must Be Chastened and Tried, Even As Abraham". Steve said he would take me to the Ward Campout at Oxbow Park on Friday. Veraun led the High Priest Discussion on "Charity, the Pure Love of Christ". We discussed how to put Charity into action. Larry brought me home by 3 pm. Online, I discovered a Water Therapy, involving drinking a "gut full" of water in the morning. It is supposed to cure lots of things including arthritis, hypertension, and diabetes. I will have to discuss it with my doctor. It was still 85o in my room when I went to bed at 10 pm.

On July 20, 2009, Monday, I got up at 5:09 am, after laying awake for over an hour. I had been thinking of my relationship with Dad, that he's probably dying, and what I might say if asked to speak at his funeral. I began putting together a new web page about Dad, collecting some of my memories of him. After breakfast, I laid down for a nap. The power went off at 10:17 am and came back on at 11:10 am. My Social Worker called to say she was sending me (by Elderplace driver) a packet of paperwork to take camping with me. It arrived. I got to chat with my daughter online briefly. She wants to go camping and said she'd like to go on a Church Daddy-daughter campout with me some time.

On July 21, 2009, Tuesday, It was 81o in my room in the morning. Dan removed the grill from the overhead vent and it cooled down to 76o, but then he had to replace the grill because the County inspector would not like it. The temperature stayed at 76o until after lunch, when it began to climb into the eighties. Winda told me she found out that the County doesn't allow microwave ovens in the rooms, so I had her take mine. It hadn't cost me anything and I hardly used it anyway. She took my dirty dishes and washed them for me.

On July 22, 2009, Wednesday, At 5 am, and again when I got up at 7:30 am, it was 82o in my room. I opened the window and set a fan there to suck in some cooler air. Winda turned on the air conditioning and I closed the Window. the A/C was not cooling my room. A County inspector, Brenda, came to evaluate Winda for her license. I think she did OK.

On July 23, 2009, Thursday, I got up just after 6 am and began straightening my room with Winda's impending 2nd inspection in mind. The temperature in the room was down to 72o. Later, I closed the window again. Dan put a clasp on the top drawer of my dresser so it could be padlocked shut for my medications. I got my room pretty well straightened up when Steve's wife phoned and asked if I could help Steve at the Family History library. I shaved and put a shoe and the boot on. He picked me up a little after 10 am. One Sister from the Sandy Ward was there. I worked on my own family as there was no one needing help. I discovered the date my Grandpa Bradley died, May 18, 1982, two years after the Mt. St. Helens eruption, which will make it easy to remember. I found more information on other family members, too. We had sub sandwiches for lunch. Mine was tuna with cheddar cheese and pickles, and a diet Coke. Steve got me home just a little after 2 pm. Winda was out on the front porch. I gave her a copy of a nice-looking 4-generation chart in case she wanted to research her ancestors.

Larry Taking Photos (my tent has a yellow top)

High Priests Made Breakfast for Ward Campers

On July 24, 2009, Friday, I got up just after 6 am. I got an email from my daughter. I took a bath before breakfast. I put some antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on my toe. I remade my bed and packed up the bedding I will use for camping. At 10 am, Nurse Melanie came and checked my toe. She washed my toe and put a hydrophyllic foam pad over my toes and bandaged most of my foot. She said when I get home Saturday I should take a bath, then wash the toe with polaxamer, dry it, put antibiotic ointment on it, and cover it with a fresh hydrophilic sponge. I napped until lunch, then finished packing a bag with the smaller items I will need. I put my gear on the front porch swing about 1:30 pm. Steve called and said he would be an hour late. Ed showed up at 2:45. I invited him to come to the campout if he wanted. Steve picked me up about three. We went to his place. His son wasn't ready yet, so I went inside. When he was ready, we left for the campout. We arrived at the campsite at 4 pm. I set up my tent strategically near the restrooms. The Bishop came by as I was preparing to drive the last stake. He asked if he could help. My knees were bothering me really bad, so I said, "I guess you can drive the last stake in." He did. Steve prepared hamburgers for himself, his son, Ed, Larry, and me. Ed left at 8 pm, the 8 o'clock program had not started yet. At 8:10 pm, they moved us over to the covered area for a program of skits, and a talk by the bishop about the pioneers. Then we went back to the campfire. Someone let me cook a marshmallow (golden brown) and used it to make me a s'more. First one I'd ever had. I played my harmonica for a while. At 10 pm, we had berry cobbler cooked in a Dutch Oven. I went back to my tent and took my HS pills. There was a lot of noise, mostly from the kids nearby, and farther away from people who stayed up past midnight. I finally went to sleep.

Deer Crossing Road as We Left the Park

On July 25, 2009, Saturday, I got up just after 6 am. The birds were making quite a racket. Only a couple of people seemed to be up, and one young boy who got up before his family. I took pictures of the campgrpund and an adjacent meadow. About 7 pm, the High Priests began preparing breakfast. We had pancakes, eggs and ham, and orange juice. Afterward, I broke camp with help from others. We saw three deer on the way out of the park. Steve got me home by 10:30 am. I unpacked my bag and put my dirty bedding in the laundry. I checked my emails and SodaHead. After lunch, I took a bath and dressed my toe as directed by the Nurse previously. Then, I laid down for a nap and went to sleep. I got up again about 4:30 pm. After supper, I downloaded my camping photos to the computer and renamed the files. I watched "As Time Goes By" and "My Family" on TV.

On July 26, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast, I napped, shaved, and dressed for Church. Larry picked me up for Church. He will pick me up Tuesday, shortly after noon, and we will go to the Stake Blood Drawing. I will help out and hopefully, be able to give blood. The Sacrament talks were on "Tithing and Fast Offering". I determined to double what I have been giving for Fast Offering, especially considering how many people are out of work. The Sunday School lesson was about enduring tribulation. Our Priesthood lesson was on getting the most (spiritually) out of temple attendance. My home teacher plans to come see me Tuesday night. Larry had me home by 3 pm. I have an appointment to donate blood at 3:15 pm on Tuesday. I went online and got a Facebook account. I found several members of the Ward there and family too. Christina and Becky were among the first. I added 6 photo albums.

A Great Hot Weather Meal

On July 27, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast, I tried napping, then got up again. I was picked up at 10:30 am, the driver was early. I went to the McKenzie Room and played a Gospel Hymns CD for background music. I chose the tuna salad with cottage cheese, fruit cocktail, a biscuit, tomato wedges, and boiled egg. I also had milk and two bananas. After breakfast, I went to the library and borrowed a book, "More Than A Carpenter". I was invited into a discussion group (since it was not my scheduled day) where we discussed a lot of changes that have occurred "since sliced bread". Sana, my nurse, came and got me. She examined my toe and found nothing to be concerned about, but gave me some foam to use to protect it. I was home by 4 pm. The temperature outside went to 100o. Winda brought me a bowl of blueberries for a nightime snack. I went to bed about 9 pm.

Equipment for Red Cross Blood Drawing

On July 28, 2009, Tuesday, At 5:15 am, it was still 82o in my room. The A/C wasn't on, so I opened my window and turned on the Window fan. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up at 6 am. After breakfast, Dan turned on the A/C and I closed my window. I had lunch a little early and Larry picked me up to take me to the Church for the blood drawing. I helped with a table and six chairs. I took photos of the set up. I read the first three chapters of "More Than A Carpenter". At 3:15 pm, I was interviewed and my blood tested - Good iron content. They drew a pint of blood and I had two cookies, apple juice, and water. A member of another Ward drove me and my wheelchair home in his pickup. About 7:30 pm, my Home Teachers visited, bringing the lesson about watching over the less active members.

On July 29, 2009, Wednesday, I got up at 7:30 am. I responded to an email from a SodaHead who asked about the three (sic) horsemen in Revelation. He also asked about confession.

Write Around Portland Anthology and my Poem

On July 31, 2009, Friday, I got up at 7:30 am. Vicki picked me up after breakfast to take me to Elderplace. She had nine passengers. I took my CBG monitor upstairs, then went down to the Columbia Room. Someone who was leaving Elderplace, had my copy of the Write Around Portland Anthology in her office and thought I should have it. So now I have it. I went to the McKenzie Room and photographed the book and the two pages with my submissions. I participaed in Lisa's discussion Group, then went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke starting at 11 am. Several people actually sang along with me. I chose the chicken lunch. I went outside at 12:30 pm and took photos. Vicki got me home just after 2 pm. Ed came and watched "Tru Calling" with me for an hour and a half. He brought two cases of diet Pepsi with him. He found out that his mother's car was ready at the body shop and left. I moved today's photos from my camera to my computer. I chatted with my daughter for a while until just after midnight.


On August 1, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:30 am. My daughter sent me an email that she had been told that her Grandma June was in the hospital, and not expected to live much longer. I phoned Mom and talked to her until I was called to lunch at 11:30. Dad was sleeping. After lunch I napped nearly until supper. I watched "As Time Goes By" and "My Family" on TV. At 10:00 pm, the temperature inside and out matched at 82o F. and I opened the window and turned on the window fan.

On August 2, 2009, Sunday, I had a recurring dream including something about my foot, and when awake, my right foot was hurting on the outside of the "arch". I got up at 7:30 am. I decided to stay home from Church because the foot was difficult to stand on - Charcot's syndrome, I presume. I had an almond butter sandwich for lunch. Never had that before. It was pretty good. I found a Family Tree widget for Facebook and entered a lot of my family members into it. My daughter did the same for three of her family members. I thought they would join our trees together, but they didn't. I found that my Disability had been depositen in the bank - on August 3rd? I made out checks for Tithing & donations, Rent, and SPD, dated August 3rd. At 9:40 pm the outside temperature reached 83o F while the inside temperature was also 83o. I opened the window and turned on the window fan.

On August 3, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:15 am, thinking about moving my bed. After breakfast, I moved my bed to under my window. After lunch, I moved my computer and TV to across from the bed. I added Daniel 3.

On August 4, 2009, Tuesday, President Obama's Birthday (48), I got up at 7:30 am. We had a County licensing inspector visit, but didn't come into my room. I napped until lunch to a Hawaiian Love Songs CD. I added Daniel 4. Daniel 5, Daniel 6, Daniel 7, Daniel 8, Daniel 9, Daniel 10, Daniel 11, and Daniel 12. I ordered from two karaoke CDGs: John Denver songs and Anne Murray songs. They should arrive early next week.

Star's Family

On August 5, 2009, Wednesday, I got up at 7:30 am. It was 32 years ago today that I went to the Temple for the first time, in Idaho Falls, for my own endowment. It was on that bus trip that I met my great uncle Star and his wife Lucy, and some of their children. They bed and boarded me, and let me take part in the family activites, including loading bales of hay from the fields onto a truck and going to the Cove swimming pool. Nila showed slides from her mission to Australia from which she had recently returned. At breakfast, we discussed the recent visit by the County licensing inspector. They now require one fire drill per year to be done at 10 pm. I suggested we should drill off the record before that during the day, so that we know what we are doing when it happens. Before lunch, I shaved. After lunch, I napped. Before supper, I made the following blog on

It's What We Do.
Americans weren't meant to be coddled or coerced, entitled or enslaved. That's true of the whole human race. It was Adam who chose pain, suffering, and eventual death over a life of beauty but without challenge.
Every people who ever came to the Americas by whatever name they called it, were pioneers and explorers, hardy self-reliant people who worked for everything they got out of the land.
We Americans won our place in battle, literally and figuratively. Now we are being told to be happy and let the government take care of us. We are being lulled to sleep, and those of us who refuse the lullaby may get knocked in the head. Our borders are not secure, our Constitution is in peril, but we are being told that it is OK, everything is alright. The Health Care bill will pass, We will not be overly taxed, Just hope, change is on its way.

Winda gave me a bag of cinnamon raisin bagels for snacks.

On August 6, 2009, Thursday, I got up at 6:45 am, though my alarm went off at 6:30. I bathed and dressed by 7:15 am. Before breakfast, I added Hosea 1. Afterward, I added Hosea 2, Hosea 3, Hosea 4, Hosea 5, Hosea 6, and Hosea 7. I phoned the Med Room at Elderplace that I needed more test strips for my CBG monitor. I added Hosea 8, Hosea 9, and Hosea 10. After lunch, I napped for two and a half hours. Then I added Hosea 11 and Hosea 12. After supper, I added Hosea 13, Hosea 14, Joel 1, Joel 2, and Joel 3. Ed phoned me to tell me that Keith Alberts has died and that his memorial is tomorrow morning at 10.

Bar-B-Que Music

On August 7, 2009, Friday, I got up at 7 am and dressed, including my boot, for Elderplace. Vicki picked me up at 8:20 am. When I got there, I went upstairs. I showed Sana a Medical Treatment Coversheet that the County Licensing Inspector gave to Winda. I picked up my CBG test strips from the Med Room and went downstairs. I read in the McKenzie Room until Lisa came for the discussion group. After the discussion group I was weighed, 233.8 lbs, and my blood pressure was 130/70. I was told my karaoke was cancelled as they had a special music group (a duet of singer/guitar players) for the outdoor barbecue lunch. Four different people came to my table and asked us for our selection for lunch. I chose the hot dog. The first person called out two hot dogs and two hamburgers for our table. I said, yeah, I wanted two hot dogs for me, only half joking. Finally someone brought me the hot dog dinner. When I was nearly done with the first hot dog, someone brought me a plate with two hot dogs on it. When he saw I already had one, he gave me one of the hot dogs he had brought. I also got two fudgesicles for dessert. After lunch, I went outside and took some more pictures. Vicki got me home by 2 pm. The mailman came with Winda on the phone, so I went out and got the mail. My John Denver karaoke CD was there. I tried out some of the songs. Ed came with a case of diet Pepsi. We watched "The Book of Mormon Movie: Volume 1". Then we went to Sizzler where I had the grilled salmon, a baked potato and salad bar (potato salad and cottage cheese). After that we went SW through the countryside (me taking photos) so that Ed could check some place for scrap metal. He got me home by 7 pm. I copied my photos from the camera to the computer. I got an email from my daughter: "Well everything is over now. Kork called Mom at 7 am saying that grandma died at 3 am peacefully. ..."

Plane Collides with Helicopter over Hudson River

On August 8, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 6:30 am. I added Amos 1, Amos 2, and Amos 3. After lunch, I added Amos 4, Amos 5, Amos 6, Amos 7, Amos 8, and Amos 9. The News all day was about the tragic collision of a small airplane and a tour helecopter over the Hudson River. All nine people (three in the plane and six in the helicopter) are believed to be dead. I added Obadiah. My Ann Murray karaoke CD arrived in the mail. I added Jonah 1, Jonah 2, Jonah 3, and Jonah 4. After supper, I added Micah 1, Micah 2, Micah 3, and Micah 4. On TV, I watched "Sand Serpents" and "The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines". Tess gave me a glazed donut for my snack.

On August 9, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast I shaved and dressed for Church. I put a shoulder strap on my scripture case so I wouldn't have to dig it out from behind my chair when I need it. Larry picked me up. He showed me the place where Br. Guerrero's car was hit on Friday night, about a mile from the church. There were still paint lines showing where the cars skidded. He was killed and one of his boys was seriously injured. Our sacrament talks were on Missionary Work. Our Sunday School lesson was on Temple work. Our Priesthood lesson was on the Wentworth Letter written by Joseph Smith about the restoration of the Gospel, which included the 13 Articles of Faith. Larry got me home by 3 pm. I checked my online communications, then sang some karaoke to my new CDs. After supper, I added Micah 5, Micah 6, Micah 7, Nahum 1, Nahum 2, Nahum 3, Habakkuk 1, Habakkuk 2, and Habakkuk 3.

MetroWest Driver for my Podiatrist Appt.

On August 10, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:36 am. After breakfast, I went back to bed. After lunch I added Zephaniah 1, Zephaniah 2, and Zephaniah 3. A MetroWest van picked me up for my podiatrist appointment and got me there in time (3 pm). Sarah was there as my aide and the Doctor looked at my feet. He debided the 2nd toe on the right foot (old blister) and the 3rd toe on the left foot (wart). He said I had acted wisely to wear my boot to protect my right foot. He said my feet looked pretty good and wanted to see me again in 4 to 5 weeks. Jay and Craig brought me home after picking up someone at Geriatric Dental and dropping her off at Glendoveer Elderplace. I was home at 5:10 pm. After supper I added Haggai 1, Haggai 2, Zechariah 1, Zechariah 2, Zechariah 3, Zechariah 4, and Zechariah 5.

On August 11, 2009, Tuesday, I got up at 5:30 am because my mind got busy and wouldn't stop. I checked my online communications. I added Zechariah 6. After breakfast I went back to bed. After lunch I added Zechariah 7, Zechariah 8, and Zechariah 9. I watched TV the rest of the day, ending with a new episode of "Warehouse 13".

On August 12, 2009, Wednesday, Cost of Government Day, I got up at 7:30 am. Yay! It's raining.

Carver Cafe where Ed and I had lunch.

On August 13, 2009, Thursday, I got up at 7:30 am. Still rainy. Ed came by at 11 am. We went to eat out. We went to the neighborhood of Ed's flagging office in Carver, Oregon and ate at the Carver Cafe. I had a tuna sandwich with potato salad. We visited the office, then went to his house in Rockwood, Portland. On the way back to my house, we stopped at Dairy Queen in Gresham for dessert. We watched TV at my house. Ed ordered a pizza while I ate supper at the dining table.

Ward Young People who came to sing for us.

Ed went home at 7 pm and I went out to the living room to wait for the Ward youth to come sing for us. Margaret joined me. The singers, one young man, two young women, and an adult sister came before 8:30 pm. They sang two songs, all the verses. The first was "I Am a Child of God", which I made a video of the first verse. They got some candy from Winda and left. It started to rain just after they left, a shower. I chatted with my daughter online for a while. She is going camping with a friend in Eastern Oregon tomorrow. Before I went to bed, I ordered a Dell Axim Pocket PC (used) and a 2 GB SD card from It's an older model but it will be useful to me.

Dew-Covered Rose.

On August 14, 2009, Friday, I got up at 7 am. I copied my CBG readings into my computer. After breakfast, I took photos of flowers in the front yard. Vicki picked me up for Elderplace. I took my CBG monitor upstairs. Then I went to the McKenzie Room and had a diet Pepsi. I talked to Lisa about checking into the possibility of moving to Salem. I weigh 322.8 lbs. I sang karaoke from my new CDs. I had chicken for lunch and Vicki got me home by 2 pm. I took a nap until supper. After supper, I checked my online messages and watched TV, "NCIS", "Monk".

My friend Erin visiting.

On August 15, 2009, Saturday, I woke up with a slight sore throat. I napped most of the morning. Erin phoned and said she had a drawing she wanted me to scan for her and would be over about 2 pm. After lunch, I rearranged my dresser, cabinet, and computer. Erin came over at 2 pm to have me scan a drawing of hers so she can have a copy when she gives the original to a friend. We scanned it more than once and the shading she was so proud of was not picked up by the scanner. So I took my camera and photographed it. That worked so well that I photographed all the sketches in her sketchbook. I emailed her the jpg files. I managed to spill Pepsi on my keyboard, twice. It is still working. She took the time to draw a picture for me of a figure skater. It turned out very well. I photographed that too and emailed her the files. She went home for supper at 7 pm. I got an email from my sister telling me Dad is doing worse. I watched "As Time Goes By" and "My Family" on TV (OPB). I studied for tomorrow's Priesthood lesson on the Relief Society.

On August 16, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:35 am. After breakfast, I copied my web files for the last three months to the internet. I shaved, bathed and dressed for Church. Larry picked me up. Sacrament Meeting talks were on Home and Visiting teaching. Veraun sang a solo, "O My Father". Sunday School was on Eternal Marriage and the Priestood lesson on the Relief Society. Still have that sore throat so I gargled with warm salt water when I got home. My daughter returned from her Prineville, OR camping trip with a sunburn. I chatted with her online.

On August 17, 2009, Monday, Jim's 52nd Birthday, I got up at 7 am. I coughed a lot during the night. After getting up, I realized I still had cough syrup from my last cold. After breakfast, I took the cough syrup and went back to bed. Didn't really sleep until just before I was called to lunch. I went back to bed after lunch. About 2:30 pm, the two packages I had ordered and unrealistically hoped for arrived. I got up. I took one Ricola cough drop that Margaret had sent to me and opened the packages. I got the 2 GB SD card, and the Dell Axim X5. It didn't have a docking base, but it did have a charger. The backup battery is dead, and it seems the main battery loses power all too fast. No carrying case as pictured, either. But even so, it is worth what I paid for it. I may have to replace both batteries. I put my entire website files on the SD card using very little of the memory. I showed off my Pocket PC to margaret and took the backup battery out to see what kind I needed to get and when I put it back in and turned it on, it showed it was fully charged. At 6:15 pm, I phoned Jim to wish him a Happy Birthday. I also wished Patrick a Happy Birthday for Wednesday. We talked for about 45 minutes. When the temperature inside and outside was 85o, I opened my window and turned on the window fan. I started a Contacts list and played solitaire on my Pocket PC until I could go to sleep.

On August 18, 2009, Tuesday, Had another long night with the heat and coughing and congestion. Got up at 7:35 am. I rested most of the day, but got little sleep. The sore throat is gone, and the coughing is letting up, but when I need to cough, my chest hurts.

On August 19, 2009, Wednesday, Patrick's 19th Birthday, I got up at 7:40 am. I took it easy all day. The missionaries came by, tracting, and visited for about 10 minutes. The temperature reached 95o today.

On August 20, 2009, Thursday, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, I napped until lunch. I watched three episodes of "Home Improvement". The outside temperature only reached 86o.

Two Flies on plants at Elderplace

On August 21, 2009, Friday, I got up at 6 am. I sorted and marked my new meds delivery and collected my meds for the morning. I bathed and dressed for Elderplace. Vicki picked me up after breakfast. I weighed myself at 317.6 lbs. I went to the McKenzie Room, found a deck of cards on a table and began playing solitaire (unsuccessfully). An aide came to get my vitals for an appointment (I didn't know about) with my nurse. My blood pressure was 124/70. Roba took me up to the clinic at 10 am. Tne nurse and doctor were there. They wanted to discuss the new POLS form that the County gave to Winda that they don't have. I will have to bring it next Friday. I joined Lisa's Discussion Group in progress. I sang karaoke in the Sandy Room from 11:05 until about noon. I had the fish. Dessert was bread pudding. I went outside and took some photos while waiting to load to go home. Vicki dropped me off at a yard sale a few houses away from home. I bought a Tee-sheet, a double-wide pillow, a massager, and a Halloween music tape. Ed showed up. We watched Crocodile Dundee I & II. He left at 6:30 pm. I put together a list of 11 possible AFCs in Keizer and West Salem to look into.

Mountain View Residential Facility

On August 22, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:40 am. I got a call from a sister at Church who wants me to come over to help her prepare a patent application. After breakfast, I located the sister's home. I checked my online messages. I phoned Larry, who said he would pick me up at 12:30 pm and take me to the sister's care home. He will pick me up before supper. I finally found 1550 AM (it didn't match up with the numbers on the dial. Great music. Margaret asked me to copy an old poem. I typed it into a Word document and printed her two copies. Here it is:


Lord help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way,
That even when I kneel to pray,
My prayer will be for others.

Help me in all I say & do
To ever be sincere & true,
And know that all I do for You,
Must needs be done for others.

Others dear Lord, Yes Others.
Let this my motto be:
Help me to live for others
That I may live like Thee.

- Author Unknown -

The View of Mt. Hood

Before lunch, I shaved. Larry picked me up at 12:30 pm and took me to the Mountain View Residential Facility. The sister shared with me her idea to help the infirm exercise, but I wasn't able to fully visualize the idea to get it on paper for her. We had a good visit and we were done before 3 pm. Since Larry wasn't expecting to pick me up until later, I decided to take advantage of the time and take photos. I got a photo of the "Mountain View" of Mt. Hood from the back yard of the place, then set out along the road to try getting home on my own. I figured if I got stuck, all I needed was to phone Larry and tell him where I was at. It went rather well. I took photos all along Powell Valley Rd. on the way home. Halfway up the last hill, a good Samaritan volunteered to push me, and I accepted. It took me only 49 minutes for the whole trip (a little longer I expect without the push), and Google Earth told me it was 1.58 miles. I copied my photos to the computer.

Red Rose

On August 23, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, I went back to bed until 10 am. Then, I got up, dressed, and packed for Church. Tess gave me two bananas to take for my lunch. I read the pages in "Our Heritage" for Sunday School. The Sacrament talks were on The Word of Wisdom. Sunday School was on Joseph Smith sealing his testimony by being martyred. And the Priesthood lesson was taken from a talk, "Be of Good Cheer". Larry had me home by 3 pm. I checked my online messages. After supper, I watched "NCIS".

On August 24, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:30 am. I watched "From Russia with Love" on TV and checked my online messages. After lunch, I added water to my aquarium, cleaned the filters, scraped the algae off two sides, and topped it off. I watched "Princess Protection Program".

On August 25, 2009, Tuesday, I got up at 7:30 am. I checked my online messages. Becky sent me an email update on Dad. He hasn't had anything solid to eat for 5 days. After lunch, I napped. At 3:30 pm, the missionaries came by and invited me to join them as they teach Winda more about the Church on Saturday at 3 pm. I watched a new episode of "Warehouse 13". Senator Ted Kennedy died tonight of a brain cancer.

Flag at Half-Mast for Sen. Ted Kennedy

On August 26, 2009, Wednesday, I got up at 7:30 am. I took pictures of Country Meadow Care AFH with Google Earth which is only 3 blocks (a quarter mile) from Becky's place in Keizer. I began thinking about rearranging my room again. I mde a flag pole for one of my 3' x 5' flags that I can mount on my wheelchair.

My Room after another rearrangement

On August 27, 2009, Thursday, I woke up at 3:30 am. Felt a little shaky, even had a piece of candy, but decided it was not low blood sugar. Then got the idea that Dad may have died. I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast, Becky phoned me to tell me that Dad had died last night at 11:30 pm. She told John and was still trying to reach Jim by phone. She said Mom is doing pretty well. I emailed my daughter what Becky had told me. I began to rearrange my room. By lunch I had managed to move the cabinet with the TV and printer on it to the other corner, but I could barely get out of my room for the clutter. Becky phoned me again to tell me Dad's memorial was at 11 am on Monday morning, the 31st. After lunch, I finished setting up my bed and the computer. Becky phoned me again to check on Dad's Mom's maiden name.

Garden Spider outside window at Elderplace

On August 28, 2009, Friday, I woke up at 6 am and reset the alarm to 6:30 am. I got up at 6:20, thinking to shave and bathe, but went online and read the messages sympathizing on my Dad's death. I managed to get packed for Elderplace before breakfast. I ended up having to change my shirt anyway because of spilling egg yoke on my shirt and face. I washed up with a damp washcloth. Vicki was a few minutes later than usual, but by no means late. When I got to Elderplace, I took my CBG monitor up to the Meds Room. I turned in the good armrest to the Therapy office and someone replaced my missing shim for my hand rim. I weighed 319.7 lbs. I sat in the McKenzie Room until Nanette showed up. Lisa was about 15 minutes late, so we started discussing our week without her. Lisa and Ernie joined us. After the discussion group, I went to the Sandy Room and sang karaoke after the singer in the Columbia Room was done. I got interrupted so they could take my vitals (Wt: 318.2 lbs, BP: 136/74) and send me upstairs for an appointment with the nurse and doctor. I gave them the new form from the County and they looked it up. It is actually the same as a 17-yr old form. They will discuss it with the County before acting on it. I went back downstairs and continued singing karaoke until lunch was served - I had salmon. Vicki got me home a bit after 2 pm.

Sunflowers against our back fence

On August 29, 2009, Saturday, I woke up about 6 am and couldn't get back to sleep so I got up at 6:20 am. I shaved, bathed, and dressed. After breakfast, I went back to bed until almost lunch time. After lunch I went out on the back deck and took photos of the back yard, then I went out on the front porch to take photos. The missionaries didn't show up for their 3 pm appointment with Winda. Sen. Ted Kennedy was buried this evening. It was delayed several hours and so it was done way after dark. After supper, I phoned Larry and he said he will pick me up at 8:30 Monday morning and drive me to Salem. I phoned Becky to let her know I have a ride down. She thinks that Ernie will bring me back Monday night after he works a half-shift.

My Three Goldfish and a Neon Tetra

On August 30, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast, I checked my online messages, then went back to bed until 10 am. Then, I got up, dressed, and packed for Church. Larry picked me up. The Sacrament talks were on the topic of Atonement of the Savior. Sunday School was about the passing of the authority keys when a prophet dies. The third meeting was a joint Prieshood/Relief Society meeting Br. Sheffield led a discussion on food storage. Br. Card led a discussion on keeping marriages together. Bishop Ipson spoke on Service. Larry took me home. I transferred my photos to my computer. My home teachers came by after 3 pm.Br. Br. Belcher bore his testimony of prayer. Br. Chipman spoke a blessing for me that the Spirit would shine out among my family while I am in Salem at my Dad's memorial. After supper, I went online and checked my messages.

Some of the Family Gathered at My Sister's

On August 31, 2009, Monday, I woke up about 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep so I got up at 5:20 am. I packed, gathered information for the trip, shaved, and dressed. After breakfast, Larry arrived a bit early. We headed out. When we were passing Woodburn, I phoned my sister to find out whether we should go the her house or the church. We went to the church, though we missed the turn off and had to double back. I recognized it at once from the Google Earth view, even though we hadn't found the addressed street yet. Larry let me out and headed home. I found my way to the room where the service was to be held and waited, enjoying the stillness. My sister and others arrived later. We had a family prayer before the service started in a little chapel.

After the memorial service, there was a little reception with coffee and cookies. Thankfully, I brought my own caffiene-free diet Pepsi. I saw Winnie Eaton talking to Mom. I was surprised that I recognized her after so many years. A bit later, I mistook someone else for her, so my memory still fails me. The family went to my sister's afterwards and visited. I was provided with a copy of the death certificate, the Tribute (eulogy) given by Randy, and the newspaper obituaries. My brothers and their families left about 2 pm. Some of the rest of us played games: ImaginIff, Apples to Apples, and Munchkin Impossible.

My son leaving, and Gary saying goodbye.

My son, my nephew, and I left at 7:00 pm, I phoned Winda (but spoke to Dan) to say that I would be home a little after 8 pm. My son used his dashtop GPS system and we made the trip without any problems. We got home at 8:08 pm. First thing I did when I got home was to take my shoes off. My feet, especially the toes of my left foot had been hurting me for hourst. Flowers from the Dickeys were left in my room. I took photos of them and placed them on the dining room table. I downloaded my photos to my computer, checked my online messages, and updated my journal.


On September 1, 2009, Tuesday, I woke up at 7:30 am without an alarm, having slept well. My feet, though weak, were feeling much better than the night before. I shared the Tribute of my Dad given yesteday at the breakfast table. My son finally got a Facebook account. Hopefully, he won't have any trouble keeping up with what's going on in the family now. I shared some photos with my daughter.

On September 2, 2009, Wednesday, I woke up at 7:30 am. I spent the morning online. In the afternoon, I took a nap until 3:30 pm. My daughter got a text message from her boyfriend. He is graduating tomorrow, now has a phone, and is getting a laptop computer.

Ed Helping a Stranded Motorist

On September 3, 2009, Thursday, I woke up at 7:30 am. Before breakfast, Ed phoned me and asked me what I had planned. I, having nothing planned, he asked me if I wated to go to the State Fair to get out of the house for a couple of hours. So he said he would be over in about an hour. After breakfast, I checked my bank balance and wrote my monthly checks. I paid Winda the rent. Ed showed up and I was still getting myself ready. We left at 9 am. He headed south, then east. When we got to Sandy, he headed south to east of Barton, then west. When we got to Carver, I knew where we were at. We got onto I-205, then I-5. I phoned Mom to say we would be visiting in about half an hour. Then we stopped so Ed could help someone trying to fix the wheel on his little trailor. We got to Mom's about 11:30 pm and visited for about 45 minutes. We saw a squirrel near her fence and I learned she has filberts growing over the fence.

The Oregon State Fair, South Entrance

We had a bit of trouble finding the parking, but ended up parking on the south side of the fairgrounds, not to far from the gate. The admission was $10. We had to find the port-a-potties first, and then we got separated. I found an ATM and got some cash. I bought two hot dogs and a bottle of water for my lunch. I spent some time trying to find Ed. There was too much noise to use the phone, though I tried. I finally found him about 1:30 pm. He bought something to eat and I bought a burrito and ate it. I got photos of a couple helicopters giving rides over the Fair. We went through the Natural Resources and Fish and Wildlife exhibits. We watched the Goat judging. We went through the 4-H exhibits, the Science and Technology, and Commercial exhibits. We sat for a while, listening to a group from Peru and Ecuador playing handmade instruments. I bought a decorated flute made in Ecuador as a souvenir. We headed back to the exit and Ed's pickup. My legs were very weak and my throat was dry.

One of two helicopters giving rides for $20

We headed onto the freeway, then got off at Lockhaven in Keizer because of a DQ sign. We had supper at Dairy Queen. I phoned Mom to tell her we were still in the neighborhood and had enjoyed the Fair. I had a banana split with strawberry topping and a medium soda. We headed out for home again. We ran into traffic problems, whether it was a car they were towing or road work, we weren't sure. Ed took a detour at Wilsonville, then got back on I-5 again there. We took I-205, still encountering traffic slowdowns. We took Powell from there all the way home. I got a couple of good photos of Mt. Hood from Gresham. Ed got me home about 7 pm. Margaret was having trouble with her TV, no picture, but sound. I fiddled with it and finally it was working again, though I have no idea if it was what I did or something else. I copied my photos to my computer and updated my journal.

On September 4, 2009, Friday, I got up at 7:30 am. Vicki picked me up after breakfast for Elderplace. When I got there I found there was a meeting going on in the McKenzie Room. I went to the Library and visited with the receptionist, Peggy. I weighed 318.3 lbs. When I went back to the McKenzie Room it was empty. I waited for Lisa's Discussion Group. A carpenter came in and removed a bookcase. Joan arrived in Lisa's place and we moved the Group into the next room. Afterward, I went to the Sandy Room, waited for the entertainment in the Columbia Room to finish and the Art Class to let out, and sang karaoke. Melissa asked me to fill out a queestionaire on activities. Vicki got me home by 2:10 pm. Ed was there when I got home. He brought a DVD movie, "Pride of the Yankees: the Lou Gherig Story". After that we watched a couple episodes of "Eureka" on TV.

On September 5, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:30 am. I went back to bed after breakfast. After lunch, I went online and watched TV.

Rain on our Apple Trees

On September 6, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:30 am. After breakfast, I went back to bed and set my alarm for 10 am. My feet were bothering me so much, I phoned Larry to tell him I wouldn't make it to church. I napped until lunch. I watched the first part of "Jumanji" at lunch, only ate half of what was served, and went back to bed to the sound of a heavy downpour outside my window, a little thunder, and water overflowing the gutters. I got up at 2:30 pm, misreading my clock and thinking it said 4:10 pm. I checked my online communications. After supper, I had a video chat with Erin online for about 2-1/2 hours.

On September 7, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:30 am. Resting all day.

On September 8, 2009, Tuesday, I got up at 7:30 am. My tower fan quit working in the evening. I think it is just jammed up, but I was unable to unscrew the casing to clean it out.

On September 9, 2009, Wednesday, My Parents' 62nd Anniversary, I got up at 7:30 am. I shaved before lunch.

On September 10, 2009, Thursday, I got up at 7:30 am. My feet and knee are still hurting me.

On September 11, 2009, Friday, Patriots' Day, I got up at 7:30 am. Vicki drove me to Elderplace as usual. I took my CBG monitor upstairs. I participated in Lisa's Discussion Group and sang karaoke in the Sandy Room. I got my CBG monitor back with a new set of test strips. I weighed 319.4 Lbs. I took a nap when I got home and woke up sweating. It was 82o in my room. It got to 90o outside, but it was also windy. My appetite for supper was not great.

9-12 Tea Party in Washington D.C.

On September 12, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:30 am. Martha's baby sister and her husband came from Corvallis to visit her. I was asked on the phone to help with directions (MapQuest led them astray). I visited with the husband while the sisters visited. It got to 92o outside, and 84o in my room. I had diarrhea. There were Tea Parties all around the country today.

On September 13, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:35 am. The temperature in my room was still 79o and it was 65o outdoors. My left foot was hurting all night and I didn't get much sleep. I stayed home from Church. Larry brought me some tithing envelopes. I napped most of the afternoon. It got to 80o outside.

On September 14, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:35 am. The temperature in my room was still 72o and it was 60o outdoors. My feet seemed to be better. I was online a lot. I began rearranging my room. I replaced a drapery around my window with my 3' x 5' flags as curtains. I got clean laundry back and hung it in the closet. I began preparing the closet shelf for my computer - maybe tomorrow I'll finish.

View from my closet

On September 15, 2009, Tuesday, I got up at 7:35 am. The temperature in my room was 69o. While working on my room, I fell while trying to sit down again. Winda showed up while I was still trying to get up. There were not broken bones or bruises, just some reddish spots on my arms where I had hit something when I fell. Later, I discovered that my brake lever was bent outward and a couple of things I had attached to the chair were turned inward, so I figure what happened is my hand or arm fell on the brake lever, bending it and releasing the brake; the chair slipped out from under me and deposited me on the floor. Sometime after lunch, I finished rearranging my room with my computer on the shelves in my closet and the TV and printer on the shelves in front of the window. I had quite a bit of trouble, but I finally was able to add $15 to my cell phone account. It got to 84o outside, and inside, too (I left the window open).

On September 16, 2009, Wednesday, About 5:30 am, I woke up. It was still 78o in my room, but I knew it was cooler outside, so I set my fan in the open window, instead of blowing directly on me as I like. I got up at 7:40 am. The temperature in my room was 71o. It was 60o outside. After breakfast, I borrowed a couple of screwdrivers from Dan and tried to get into my tower fan casing to fix it. I was unable to get two of the two screws loose. I took the bottom off and found a single ball bearing inside, so it was not the dirt that caused the fan's problem, but bad bearings. I threw the fan out.

On September 17, 2009, Thursday, Constitution Day, I got up at 7:40 am. The temperature in my room was 75o. It was 58o outside. After breakfast, I shaved, bathed, and dressed. After lunch, I remade my bed. I sang karaoke and napped until almost supper time. Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul, and Mary died today.

Motherhood in Action

On September 18, 2009, Friday, Rosh Hashanah, I got up at 7:30 am. The temperature in my room was 70o. It was 53o outside. I dressed and got ready for Elderplace. Vicki picked me up after breakfast and drove me to Elderplace. Peggy told me I have a podiatrist appointment on Monday. I will be picked up at 10:15 am and the appointment is for 11:00 am. I don't expect to be home in time for lunch. I weighed 318.6 lbs. I participated in Lisa's Discussion Group. I sang karaoke until lunch. I had the fish. The rice was very salty and I couldn't eat it. Vicky got me home by 2:15 am. The temperature outside got to 86o. It was 83o in my room.

On September 19, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:40 am. The temperature in my room was 70o. It was 59o outside. I sorted and marked my new meds.

On September 20, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, I shaved and dressed for Church. Larry called to say they weren't going, so I stayed home from church. I took it easy all day.

My house is two blocks beyond the roof to the left of Mt. Hood

On September 21, 2009, Monday, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, Tess made me two tuna sandwiches in English muffins for my lunch. When I went outside, it was really blustery. One of the pillows from the porch swing was blowing out the driveway to the street. I fetched it back. I took pictures. The MetroWest van picked me up. The driver's name was Matteo. We arrived almost 15 minutes early for my podiatrist appointment. The doctor looked at my feet, trimmed some wartiness from a couple toes, and said that I should wear the air boot on my left foot for a while as it was showing signs of Charcot's again. Another MetroWest driver got me home shortly after Noon. I ate my tuna sandwiches and a bowl of baked beans with the others at the table. I slept most of the afternoon.

Constellation Lyra, with Vega the brightest.

After supper, Tess heard what she thought was my cell phone, but I figured out it was a passing ice cream truck. After I went to the door to determine where it was at (and heard nothing more), Tess fixed us all a small bowl of ice cream. I downloaded my photos from the camera and updated my journal. After sundown, I went out on the front porch and took photos of Jupiter and the stars. When I checked them on the computer, the ones of Jupiter didn't show any details I had hoped for, but some of my sky photos came out beautifully. I got two beautiful shots of the Constellation Lyra, with Vega, the brightest Star north of the equator. Winda gave me a cookie for a snack and five frozen bagels for future snacks.

On September 22, 2009, Tuesday, 1st Day of Autumn, I got up at 7:40 am. At breakfast, I changed the battery in Margaret's hearing aid. I went online and checked my messages. I phoned Mom and visited with her for a while. After lunch, I napped until 3:45 pm. It got to 90o outside today. After supper, I ordered two books from "Kronos" and "Ages in Chaos", both by Immanuel Velikovsy. I watched three episodes of "Warehouse 13", including the latest.

The Moon's Southern half (about three days old)

On September 23, 2009, Wednesday, I got up at 7:33 am. At breakfast, I changed the battery in Margaret's hearing aid. It was 59o outside and 75o in my room. I played solitaire and communicated online most of the day. It got up to 86o today. About 6:30 pm, I went out on the back deck to take photos. I took photos of the deck, the yard, spiders, the sunset, airplanes, and the crescent Moon. I copied the photos to the computer and updated my journal.

On September 24, 2009, Thursday, I got up at 7:40 am. I napped in the afternoon and generally took it easy. My left foot especially was puffy and red. I watched a Tommy Lee Jones movie on TV before settling down to sleep after 2 am.

First signs of Fall's true colors

On September 25, 2009, Friday, I got up at 7:30 am. I got ready for Elderplace before breakfast. After breakfast, I went out front and took photos. Vicki picked me up. Marion died during the week so we were down to six passengers. I weighed 321.7 lbs with my Air Cast on my left foot and my blood sugar was 128/66. I participated in Lisa's Discussion Group and sang karaoke. I took more photos outside before we left. Vicki had an extra passenger to take home. After I got home, Brenda called to tell me they would keep me an extra hour next Friday for the evaluation. A MetroWest driver will take me home after. I copied my photos to the computer.

On September 26, 2009, Saturday, I got up at 7:30 am. Between breakfast and lunch, I napped while listening to Fox News on TV. After lunch, I began removing the sidebar menu from my web pages and replacing it with a link to a single Site Menu page. After supper, I studied the Priesthood lesson, "Becoming Saviors on Mount Zion".

Waxing Gibbous Moon

On September 27, 2009, Sunday, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, I shaved, bathed, and dressed for Church. Larry picked me up. It was Fast and Testimony meeting first. One Sister said that God sees us as we will be, not as we are. Sunday School was on "The Desert Will Blossom as the Rose", and In High Priest Group, Br. Childs gave a lesson on "The Power of Covenant", so I didn't give a lesson. I told the Group Leader that I lost nothing by having studied the lesson. John ran over about 8 minutes (the wall clock was about 5 minutes slow). Larry got me home and I went to my room, took off my shoe and the Air Cast and napped until supper time. After supper, I went out on the front porch for about an hour and a half and took photos of the Moon (about 8 days old), some cats, the neighborhood in general, and Jupiter. I copied the photos (75) to my computer and updated my journal.

On September 28, 2009, Monday, Gary's birthday, I got up at 7:40 am. I was online until lunch time. After lunch, I took a nap until my books arrived. "Ages in Chaos" was in Hebrew instead of English. I can work out what it says. I began reading "Kronos". I finished the book about 8:30 pm, then noticed the sound of a heavy rainfall through my open window. How refreshing! After midnight, I downloaded a free interlinear Bible with the original languages.

A gloriously rainy day.

On September 29, 2009, Tuesday, Under ocean earthquake creates Tsunami that hits Samoa, American Samoa and Tonga the hardest, killing hundreds, I got up at 7:40 am. After breakfast, I took my camera to the front door and took photos of the rain and hail. Then I tried to go back to sleep, but my mind came up with a new plan for my room. I moved the aquarium to the far end of my dresser top (from my bed), then moved my computer and monitor to the dresser top next to my bed so I can compute from my bed with my legs up (they dearly need it and I can't stand to lie around all day). I got this much accomplished before lunch. After lunch, I moved the TV from in front of the window to the closet shelf. I continued rearranging furniture, cleaning, and organizing until I was able to clear my bed off. I got my printer connected to the computer. I copied the photos from my camera. I added Zechariah 10, Zechariah 11, and Zechariah 12.

View through my window on a rainy day

On September 30, 2009, Wednesday, Earthquakes reported in Indonesia, I got up at 6:30 am (couldn't get back to sleep). Before breakfast, I added Zechariah 13 and Zechariah 14. After breakfast, I went back to bed. My feet are hurting. Before lunch, I was going to add Malachi, but found it was already done. I did remove the side bar menu from its four chapter pages, though. After lunch, I added Exodus 1, Exodus 2, Exodus 3, Exodus 4, Exodus 5, Exodus 6, and Exodus 7. After supper, Ed phoned me to check what my schedule was for tomorrow. I added Exodus 8, Exodus 9, and Exodus 10. Ed phoned me again to tell me he has to work tomorrow, but will not know for a few more hours what time that will be, so he doesn't know if he will be over tomorrow after all. I added Exodus 11 and Exodus 12.